Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External SSD unusable since upgrade from 13.2 to Leap

Default External SSD unusable since upgrade from 13.2 to Leap

After upgrading my OS, I noticed that I lost write permissions on the external SSD drive I use to back up my data with. I attempted to delete and re-partition the SSD using Expert Partitioner. Now the SSD will not mount. Here is the error message:

An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/root/27877fed-ea88-476d-8e5d-567c91fb589f: Command-line `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/root/27877fed-ea88-476d-8e5d-567c91fb589f"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so.

I have successfully repartitioned my device many times, but its possible I caused the error this time. I believe I attempted to do the procedure while it was still mounted. Also I attempted to repartition at the most primary mount point: /dev/sdb, instead of at the /dev/sdb1 selection.

I don't need to recover any data on the drive, but I would love to bring it back to life if possible.

Default Re: External SSD unusable since upgrade from 13.2 to Leap

Try to mount manually. Here is what to do for that.

Work as root.

Manually create a mountpoint (directory), for example /tm

Mount:

mount -t ext4 -v /dev/sdb1 /tm

or try a few variations:

mount -t auto -v /dev/sdb2 /tm
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /tm

If this does not work, try to find out what is the filesystem on the partition, and whether the disk has a partition and partition table. This can be done in gparted, Yast, fdisk, and perhaps by other means.

If all this does not work, check the disk with smartctl and badblocks. badblocks has a read-only check, but, since you do not need to save data, better run the destructive write check. The smartctl command is safe, but badblocks is not - if given wrong device (disk or partition), it will erase the conent. Here are the commands.

smartctl -a /dev/sdb
    badblocks -wvs -t 5001 /dev/sdb

Tell us the outcomes. We will continue from there.

If the above doesn't work go to the ssd's whatever brand website and get the tools to do a format thats specific to that ssd and then start over with a fresh like new ssd.

I have had to do that with a samsung and a ocz after messing it up.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    Try to mount manually. Here is what to do for that.

Work as root.

Manually create a mountpoint (directory), for example /tm

Mount:

mount -t ext4 -v /dev/sdb1 /tm

or try a few variations:

mount -t auto -v /dev/sdb2 /tm
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /tm

If this does not work, try to find out what is the filesystem on the partition, and whether the disk has a partition and partition table. This can be done in gparted, Yast, fdisk, and perhaps by other means.

If all this does not work, check the disk with smartctl and badblocks. badblocks has a read-only check, but, since you do not need to save data, better run the destructive write check. The smartctl command is safe, but badblocks is not - if given wrong device (disk or partition), it will erase the conent. Here are the commands.

smartctl -a /dev/sdb
    badblocks -wvs -t 5001 /dev/sdb

Tell us the outcomes. We will continue from there.
    Attempts to mount using various commands all result in "mount point /tm does not exist".

I moved on to the smartctl command, here is the output:

"# smartctl -a /dev/sdb
    smartctl 6.2 2013-11-07 r3856 [x86_64-linux-4.1.15-8-default] (SUSE RPM)
    Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sdb: Unknown USB bridge [0x059b:0x0071 (0x006)]
    Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary"

I wasn't entirely confident on how to proceed with smartctl, so I moved on to the badblocks. Here is the output:

"# badblocks -wvs -t 5001 /dev/sdb
    Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
    From block 0 to 124318039
    Testing with pattern 0x1389: done
    Reading and comparing: done
    Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)"

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    If the above doesn't work go to the ssd's whatever brand website and get the tools to do a format thats specific to that ssd and then start over with a fresh like new ssd.

I have had to do that with a samsung and a ocz after messing it up.

Greg
    Great idea. But it looks like brand support is not existing for me. I have an Iomega 118 GB SSD Flash. When I go to their website, it looks like it is abandoned. It just redirects me to search engine results for various keywords. Hopefully there are other tools that allow me to reformat the device.

Did you create the directory (mount point) to mount the partition? It needs a place to attach the partition

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you create the directory (mount point) to mount the partition? It needs a place to attach the partition
    If that is a procedure done in the konsole manually, then no. When it comes to konsole work, its best for me to stick to copy/paste work.

Can you provide the exact command?

Well it is mkdir and you can get full instruction with man mkdir

But you can make a directory from the GUI as well. But details may be a little different depending on desktop but in general you go to the place you want to create the directory in the file browser you use then right click and select create new folder

You do understand that folder and directory are just names given to a named node in the file system and are not really folders or directories just convenient ways for us meat bags tot think about things

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well it is mkdir and you can get full instruction with man mkdir

But you can make a directory from the GUI as well. But details may be a little different depending on desktop but in general you go to the place you want to create the directory in the file browser you use then right click and select create new folder

You do understand that folder and directory are just names given to a named node in the file system and are not really folders or directories just convenient ways for us meat bags tot think about things
    I still need a little more "hand-holding" to make a directory and mount to it. I have KDE and use dolphin mostly. I just right clicked along the left panel of dolphin and was given the option to "Add Entry". When I create an entry named "ssd" it appears in the "Places" section and the contents are identical to the "Home" directory. Is this correct? If so, what is the command line to mount it?

No it is not that hard. Navigate in the browser to root (/) or where ever you want the SSD partition to be

right click in a bank space on the browser window not on any side windows the main brows window where you see files. (BTW this is just like Windows) this will pop a menu in the menu Create New then select folder

Then follow instruction above about mounting the device

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast