Thread: Alternative to Amarok?

Default Alternative to Amarok?

I followed a different thread to get my broken Amarok working. But, even working it doesn't make me happy. Are there alternatives to Amarok that you like? I would especially like something that is iPod friendly.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Default Re: Alternative to Amarok?

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    Are there alternatives to Amarok that you like?
    Before I switched to Amarok, I used xmms which is basically the same as WinAMP.
    A modern replacement for xmms would be Audacious, which I also have installed and use from time to time.

Amarok has changed completely in KDE4, so you might prefer the KDE3 version (like some people do), and there's a modernized Qt4 "port" of that named clementine.

If you are more into GNOME, you might rather like things like Rhythmbox or Totem.

I would especially like something that is iPod friendly.
    What do you mean with that?
    Amarok does support iPods via libgpod. If libgpod does not work with your iPod, it's unlikely that any other (Linux) program will.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 03-Mar-2016 at 08:02.

"Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

Blog Entries

Common alternatives found in other openSUSE Desktops currently includes totem.
    You can also use more universal multimedia apps like vlc, smplayer, etc.

In fact, if you have ample disk space, installing multiple Desktops is an easy way to find and experiment with alternative apps for everything... In openSUSE, when you install multiple Desktops any app installed in one Desktop is often available in all Desktops.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm downloading Clementine and Audacious now. I have vlc and smplayer, but have never thought of them as an Amarok replacement. I have used Kaffiene when Amarok wasn't working at all. I will try all of these as my regular music player.

Prexy
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke