Thread: Leap 42.1/Xfce/Libreoffice 5 - New Install

Question Leap 42.1/Xfce/Libreoffice 5 - New Install

I reinstalled Leap 42.1 w/Xfce on my laptop yesterday. It all went well except for Libreoffice. When I try to run Writer, I receive the error "The program cannot be started. Language could not be determined" I googled the problem and saw a number of replies that it is either a firewall problem or a permissions problem. I disabled my firewall, which didn't help, so then I went to a terminal and ran libreoffice-writer as root. Same error.

Libreoffice isn't something that I use often, but I like to have Writer installed. To that end, I uninstalled LibreOffice completely, and then re-installed only Writer plus dependencies. I did all of this before I ever ran the software, so I'm not sure whether or not this was happening "out of the box." This is also what I did back in November on the same laptop when I first installed Leap, but I never had this problem.

I would appreciate any advice, and I apologize right now if I am missing something painfully obvious. All of my language/location settings are US-English.

Thank you!

Will in Missouri, USA

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 42.1/Xfce/Libreoffice 5 - New Install

Have you run the following which updates your system and applications to the latest stable available?
    Code:
    zypper update
    After the above, reboot for good measure and re-launch Writer...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: Leap 42.1/Xfce/Libreoffice 5 - New Install

The system is fully updated, and I restarted it before I tried disabling the firewall and running Writer as root.

Default [SOLVED]Re: Leap 42.1/Xfce/Libreoffice 5 - New Install

I finally decided to force a downgrade of Libreoffice Writer from 5.0.4 to 5.0.2 (version that originally shipped with Leap). That fixed the problem. I was hoping that once I had all of my config files in place on my home directory that I would be able to upgrade it back to version 5.0.4. Worked like a charm.

I was going to add "[SOLVED]" to the title of my original post, but I don't seem to have the user rights to do it.

Thanks,

Will