Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Unresponsivnes

Default Strange Unresponsivnes

I am having a strange problem with applications randomly becoming unresponsive in openSuse Leap. The symptoms are as follows:

Window buttons don't work (minimize, Maximize and Close)
    Can not move window
    Sometimes I can move the window and in that case, buttons become responsive again.
    Toolbar is not working.
    Dragging the cursor over buttons on the toolbar and window will highlight the button but it does not register clicks on the button.

When it happened to me while running Firefox, browser window (inside of the browser) works and I can scroll and type inside the web page but I can not interact with the toolbar, start button or the application window.
    Keyboard shortcuts for the browser work. After a while, it randomly started working again.

When it happened in YaST I was able to click on items inside the program. I could start things like software management but those would not react to my mouse. I could TAB through items and tab to the "Close" button to get out. Sometimes, clicking on one of the module windows would just bring YaST to the font.

I experienced the same issues in both GNOME and KDE. I reinstalled a few times and tried installing with GNOME only but had the same issue.

System Specifications:
    Intel Core i7-3770
    32 GB DDR 3 (Corsair)
    Asus Maximus V Formula motherboard with onboard network adapter
    nVidia GForce 770
    Edirol UA-25EX audio interface
    240 GB SSD with Windows 8.1
    240 GB SSD with OpenSuse Leap 42.1
    1 TB HD for Data
    1 TB HD for Backup

I installed the same version in a virtual machine running under Windows 8.1 and did not experience the same problems.

I'm new to Linux and don't know much about it beyond what can be figured out by interacting with the GUI.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated.

Default Re: Strange Unresponsivnes

Seem like possible you have a Optimus based Notebook. You need to NOT install the NVIDIA driver and install bumblbee. Also be sure you are fully up to date

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Seem like possible you have a Optimus based Notebook. You need to NOT install the NVIDIA driver and install bumblbee. Also be sure you are fully up to date

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    It's a desktop.

You fully up to date?. Since ther was a fumble in the updates today I'd wait until tomorrow to get any you may not have

You fully up to date?. Since ther was a fumble in the updates today I'd wait until tomorrow to get any you may not have
    Nothing got updated as far as I know. I downloaded the image about 2 weeks ago and have been using that version since. I installed and reinstalled a bunch of times trying to get it to work. Last time I installed was this Sunday.

Normally you are notified do you have a working internet connection??

You can do as root

zypper up

to get the latest fixes

Normally you are notified do you have a working internet connection??

You can do as root

zypper up

to get the latest fixes
    I have a working internet connection. I do not understand the part about the root. Am I supposed to go to the console and type in "Zypper up"?

I just spoke to a colleague of mine to whom I have given an openSuse Leap CD to install on his home computer and he is having the exact same problem with the mouse clicks not working at random times.

2 things
    #1 there is a known bug with nouveau and plasma 5 so you need to install the nvidia propitiatory drivers or use a different desktop like lxqt or lxde or pick one
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.1/ nvidia
    sudo zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG04
    #2 there have been a ton of updates since the original opensuse iso was made so do update, and yes you need to be root to install updates, you can become root by executing su - or using sudo, so do
    Code:
    sudo zypper up

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    2 things
    #1 there is a known bug with nouveau and plasma 5 so you need to install the nvidia propitiatory drivers or use a different desktop like lxqt or lxde or pick one
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.1/ nvidia
    sudo zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG04
    #2 there have been a ton of updates since the original opensuse iso was made so do update, and yes you need to be root to install updates, you can become root by executing su - or using sudo, so do
    Code:
    sudo zypper up
    I did not install Plasma 5 and I was having the problem with GNOME installed. I tried the things you suggested but none of them worked. I tried adding KDE since I didn't like GNOME and that wrecked the system. After trying to log in into KDE I was greeted by a black screen with a mouse cursor and I couldn't do a thing. Restarting didn't help.
    I'll try installing tumbleweed tomorrow before moving on to another distribution, if tumbleweed is as unstable as Leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Feda View Post
    I did not install Plasma 5 and I was having the problem with GNOME installed. I tried the things you suggested but none of them worked. I tried adding KDE since I didn't like GNOME and that wrecked the system. After trying to log in into KDE I was greeted by a black screen with a mouse cursor and I couldn't do a thing. Restarting didn't help.
    I'll try installing tumbleweed tomorrow before moving on to another distribution, if tumbleweed is as unstable as Leap.
    don't do that, on a side note what cpu do you have, some intel chips have build in gpu's using nvidia drivers on i3/i5/i7 breaks the system unless you set your preferred card as the external one, it's done in bios, so if you have en i-processor go in bios and set nvidia as the preferred card (check your manufacturers info)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast