Thread: Clean install of Leap Keeping home folder

Default Clean install of Leap Keeping home folder

Hi,

Back Story
    Was using opensuse 13.2 I had an issue with the Desktop not working correctly and couldnt work out what was happening so I formatted the drive keeping the home folder.
    I then installed opensuse leap 42.1 but none of my opensuse branding is working. for the KDE button I get a cog with a K is there anyway for me to revert the desktop back to opensuse branding?

I dont use this machine as much as I'd like I have it as my little brother is handicapped and I found that opensuse was better as it stopped me getting virus's and stopped him deleting files he shouldn't of been able to delete.

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks,

#dave
    Giz a Job
    The Raver

Default Re: Clean install of Leap Keeping home folder

Did you allow Leap to reformat / as Btrfs or keep Ext4?

Anyway, to answer your question, have you accepted all the updates because lots of things have been fixed since the original installation through updates.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu View Post
    I then installed opensuse leap 42.1 but none of my opensuse branding is working.
    Make sure that plasma5-workspace-branding-openSUSE is installed. But it should be by default.

for the KDE button I get a cog with a K is there anyway for me to revert the desktop back to opensuse branding?
    It is normal with our Plasma5 packages that the upstream K icon is used for the application menu.
    You can choose any icon you want in its settings though (right-click on the icon).

You can revert all settings to the defaults by removing the ~/.config/ folder. But note that this will also affect other (KDE and non-KDE) applications' settings.

But maybe you should try to explain what "branding" you are missing exactly. It might just have been removed completely or changed...

Thank you both for your very prompt replies.

Firstly I have formatted all partitions excluding the /Home partition.

The Branding I am just really refering to the suse style branding like the nice green the lizard ect..

I am going to do a live disc in a vm to see if its the same and come back...

Thanks
    Dave
    Giz a Job
    The Raver

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu View Post
    The Branding I am just really refering to the suse style branding like the nice green the lizard ect..
    Again, the "nice green lizard" as icon for the application menu is not used any more in openSUSE's Plasma5 branding. But you can change it yourself to whatever you want. The old icon itself should be installed somewhere...