Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel panics / reboot / logout / frozen processes, when watching some Youtube videos

Default Re: Kernel panics / reboot / logout / frozen processes, when watching some Youtube videos

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Speculating, there might be a problem with the player running in your FF.
    First, I've found relatively few videos on Youtube are compiled to run at 1600pixel resolution, verify the option is avaiable and running as such using your Youtube video control buttons.
    You might also try other browsers besides FF to see if it's a FF specific problem.
    Should already be the case, but try forcing HTML5 instead of Flash, or vice versa. You can do this by going to the Youtube HTML5 configuration page, and of course you will need a Flash plugin to play Flash
    https://www.youtube.com/html5

TSU
    I only use the HTML5 player, not the Flash one. Might see about the rest later: FF is currently my main browser, as for the video controls I always select the highest setting (eg: 1080p @ 60fps).
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Default [RESOLVED] Kernel panics / reboot / logout / frozen processes, when watching some Youtube videos

Marking this as Resolved; It appears the problem was not a bug in the Kernel or video driver. It had to do with my overclock settings! The memories were clocked slightly too high, which introduced a small probability that the system would crash precisely while watching 1080p / 60FPS videos. I lowered the RAM clocks in BIOS, and there has been no crash after 10 days of uptime now. It's beyond me why a frequency setting would crash a machine only while watching Youtube, even after I had +4 days of uptime without problems... in any case, this wasn't what I thought it was.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Default Re: Kernel panics / reboot / logout / frozen processes, when watching some Youtube videos

Over clocking is tricky, different apps use the CPU and memory differently so timing can be an issue in one and not in another. Video is going to hit sequential areas of memory very hard. With today’s hardware I see little reason to overclock since the speed up is generally marginal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12