Running Suse 13.1.

Couple of weeks ago after a kernel update I had to go through the usual process of reinstalling my ATI Firepro R6LNX driver to get a GUI login.
Usually when I do this I just select to install the driver only. This used to give me a good display and I could configure my 3 monitor set up by using the KDE Display configuration tool.
For some reason last time I also selected to install the AMD CCC software.
This did give me a whole bunch of good stuff to play with using the AMD CCC administrative control centre.

However I soon noticed that after 10 minutes or so of no mouse activity the screens went into power saver mode and blacked out. No problemo I thought, just maybe change some settings in Power management.
But trying to open 'Power management'>'energy saving' just gives me a greyed out window with a big fat red X in the middle and a message saying "The power management service appears not to be running. This can be solved by starting or scheduling it inside "Startup and Shutdown"

Isn't Suse lovely - it even tells you how to fix problems! Except.... when I try and open up "Startup and Shutdown" I get a big greyed out window that appears to list lots of services as 'not running' then a smaller box (error KDE Control module) pops up with a big fat red X and the message "Unable to contact kded"

Next step was to run kded4 from a terminal.

That gave me:

Code:
:
~> kded4
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::StateChanged(uint)
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0".
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0".
Can't get XRandR version 
kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kded(4115): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
I've Googled this as best as I can and all I can discern is that if one is using Xinerama it doesn't play nicely with RANDR... But I need Xinerama as that is the only way I can now enable extended Desktop across my 3 monitors. Yup - kde display monitor also now no longer opens up - so the AMD CCC is the only option to configure my 3 screen set up. I have found lots of conflicting info across distributions on what to do - a lot seem to suggest I need to edit Xorg.conf but I was under the impression that was no longer used....

So I'm looking either for help\advice in getting my current setup with the AMD CCC to work without destroying all the other things controlled by kded4 at the same time, or alternatively (less favourite) a way to uninstall the AMD CCC to return control to the native KDE tools.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Chris