Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Please Cannot Start KDE Desktop

Default Help Please Cannot Start KDE Desktop

Following a forced restart due to system freeze I am no longer able to start my KDE desktop. I am logged into a terminal and can run commands but cannot start KDM or X11.
    This is my main machine so I am in trouble here. Can somebody please help?
    Budgie2

Default Re: Help Please Cannot Start KDE Desktop

Maybe disk is full. If you used BTRFS???? How much space for root partition did you allow? If so remove snapshots and perhaps turn off snapper if you have a small root partition

Maybe a disk problem run smartctl

Maybe video what video what driver and how did you install it. An update may have caused a problem if you manually installed a proprietary driver. If so reinstall said driver

Do you get the graphic login screen? Or do you have auto login set. If so as root from command line run yast and select system-/etc/sysconfig editor and change desktop display manager dislplay-manager autologin to a blank this will turn off auto login and maybe allow you to get to a different desktop

Something in your home config files went bad and stops start of KDE.as your self from terminal rename the ~/.kde4 to ~/kde4.back

That is some possibilities without more info can not give better solutions

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Maybe disk is full. If you used BTRFS???? How much space for root partition did you allow? If so remove snapshots and perhaps turn off snapper if you have a small root partition
    Installed with 40 GiB for root and plenty of room remains.

Maybe a disk problem run smartctl
    Disks and RAID all OK.

Maybe video what video what driver and how did you install it. An update may have caused a problem if you manually installed a proprietary driver. If so reinstall said driver
    I did install Nvidia driver using yast and if there has been a recent update this is a possible cause. Trouble is I only now have console command line and have no idea where to start with reinstalling the driver. Last time there was a problem due to update the screen fell back to VGA and I was able to sort things out with help from here but now no such luck.

Do you get the graphic login screen? Or do you have auto login set. If so as root from command line run yast and select system-/etc/sysconfig editor and change desktop display manager dislplay-manager autologin to a blank this will turn off auto login and maybe allow you to get to a different desktop
    I do not get any login screen at all now, however I have run yast as root and turned off auto login as you suggest, but still am left with console on reboot.

Something in your home config files went bad and stops start of KDE.as your self from terminal rename the ~/.kde4 to ~/kde4.back

That is some possibilities without more info can not give better solutions
    OK I have renamed the .kde4 to .kde4.bak but this doesn't help, probably because I never get to kde desktop. The good news is I can run commands so system is working ... if I knew what to do next....
    I am typing this on another machine so cannot cut and paste results but please let me know what I should try next.
    Budgie2

If you installed NVIDIA from the repos then it probable is OK The problem can happen if you install manually the "hard way"

You can reinstall the driver from yast. It does sound like a video problem and it would not hurt to force a reinstall

You may be able to get to a GUI if you start with nomodeset

at boot press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to true end of that line (it wraps) add a space and nomodeset press F10 to continue boot that should force load of fall back drivers

From the console, if you log in as root, you can run Yast. It is GUI-like, but not quite as pretty as normal Yast. As root in console, simply do:
    Code:
    yast
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Hi and thanks. I have forced a reinstallation of the nvidia driver but that has not helped.
    I need help with some command lines so I can do it all from terminal please.
    Budgie2

Further to the above, there must be entries into the log created when starting which will have clues as to the problem. How can I find and view this log please?
    Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Further to the above, there must be entries into the log created when starting which will have clues as to the problem. How can I find and view this log please?
    The X11 log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, kdm's log is in /var/log/kdm.log.

Also, how exactly did you try to start kdm or X11?
    As root try "systemctl start display-manager" and "startx".

"systemctl status display-manager" should give more information why it didn't start.

If you created/have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf: remove it, and you should be able to get into a graphical system again (although the nvidia driver might not work).

Hi Wolfi323, many thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The X11 log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, kdm's log is in /var/log/kdm.log.
    OK, they are long and don't mean a great deal to me but the Xorg.0.log seems to be OK until at the end I have :-
    Code:
    Fatal Server Error:AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
    I can try putting file onto usb so I can bring it to this machine if you need to see it.

kdm.log shows essentially the same message.

Also, how exactly did you try to start kdm or X11?
    as root, restart kdm and startx

As root try "systemctl start display-manager" and "startx".

"systemctl status display-manager" should give more information why it didn't start.
    display-manager is running but startx fails with message

Code:
    xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that's the reason?
    If you created/have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf: remove it, and you should be able to get into a graphical system again (although the nvidia driver might not work).
    I have an xorg.conf.d so have removed and re-booted.
    Alas, still only get console login.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    OK, they are long and don't mean a great deal to me but the Xorg.0.log seems to be OK until at the end I have :-
    Code:
    Fatal Server Error:AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
    Well, this does sound fatal.
    And what is "driver 0" exactly?

I can try putting file onto usb so I can bring it to this machine if you need to see it.
    Well, I'd definitely like to, just this error message doesn't help much.

Do you get a graphical system when you choose "Recovery Mode" (2nd option in "Advanced Options" in the boot menu)?
    Would probably make it easier to upload it somewhere.

as root, restart kdm and startx
    Well, with "startx" you probably got the same error message then.
    "restart kdm" does not work though, you need to run "systemctl restart display-manager" as already indicated.

Code:
    xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that's the reason?
    You need to run it as root.
    If you did, there should also have been the above error.

I have an xorg.conf.d so have removed and re-booted.
    I told you to remove xorg.conf if it exists, *not* xorg.conf.d!
    The latter is necessary for proper operation, although the graphical system should probably at least start without it.
    Reinstall the packages xorg-x11-server, xorg-x11-driver-video and xf86-input-evdev to get back most content (the most important one at least).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast