Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: LibreOffice paste issue

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default LibreOffice paste issue

    Hi,

    I can't seem to paste anything and keep the formatting : when pasting, it just paste unformatted text, which is the only option when I open the window from menu "paste special" ?

    How can I rid of that behaviour ? I already tried to start with a new profile, deleting the libreoffice directory in .config (Im on linux Suse, the loff version is 5.0.2.2).

    Is anybody have the same issue ? Is this a misconfiguration or a bug ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,327

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    I've had numerous issues with copy/paste when using LO ...

    When copying the source, if you select and then use ctrl-C to copy, it invariably works OK when pasting into LO. (At least that's what seems to work for me...)
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191203) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Everything OK here, just pasted your message in Writer, it offers "plain text" and "HTML" in Paste-special.
    Then changed formatting and copy-paste to Writer, Impress and Calc are all OK.
    I too used Ctrl+C to copy, if it does matter.

    BTW, the current LO version is 5.0.4.2, you may update your system.

    If it is a special copy-paste that doesn't work for you, please add the relevant details.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  4. #4

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Quote Originally Posted by tannington
    I've had numerous issues with copy/paste when using LO ...
    When copying the source, if you select and then use ctrl-C to copy, it invariably works OK when pasting into LO. (At least that's what seems to work for me...)

    Ctrl+C does change one thing only : it keeps the justify format.. That's all. Bold text, exponants and everything else is gone.


    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Everything OK here, just pasted your message in Writer, it offers "plain text" and "HTML" in Paste-special.
    Then changed formatting and copy-paste to Writer, Impress and Calc are all OK.
    I too used Ctrl+C to copy, if it does matter.

    BTW, the current LO version is 5.0.4.2, you may update your system.
    The issue was there before and did remain after the update.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    If it is a special copy-paste that doesn't work for you, please add the relevant details.
    The paste-special window offers only unformatted paste, which at least is coherent. I don't know why I can't have any other option.

    What would you like as relevant details ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Nice to know your problem is solved

    As to the root cause, I doubt that it is an installer bug, at least not a "clean standard install" bug in the Leap install DVD.
    The DVD does NOT have hunspell-32bit, and it is not automatically called in during update.
    I did a clean Gnome install and neither libreoffice-gnome nor libreoffice-gtk3 were automatically installed.
    BTW libreoffice-gtk3 is no replacement for libreoffice-gnome, but a (troublesome) addon AFAIK.
    I did a clean KDE install in a VM and libreoffice-kde4 WAS automatically installed.
    Both installs called in hunspell (the 64bit flavour).

    So your setup with all three libreoffice-gnome, libreoffice-gtk3 and libreoffice-kde4 appears to be "non-standard" in a way or another; maybe your system was upgraded from a prior version or install attempt?

    Anyway, we learned something in this journey.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  6. #6

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Nice to know your problem is solved

    As to the root cause, I doubt that it is an installer bug, at least not a "clean standard install" bug in the Leap install DVD.
    The DVD does NOT have hunspell-32bit, and it is not automatically called in during update.
    I did a clean Gnome install and neither libreoffice-gnome nor libreoffice-gtk3 were automatically installed.
    BTW libreoffice-gtk3 is no replacement for libreoffice-gnome, but a (troublesome) addon AFAIK.
    I did a clean KDE install in a VM and libreoffice-kde4 WAS automatically installed.
    Both installs called in hunspell (the 64bit flavour).

    So your setup with all three libreoffice-gnome, libreoffice-gtk3 and libreoffice-kde4 appears to be "non-standard" in a way or another; maybe your system was upgraded from a prior version or install attempt?
    Very strange.. Because it is a clean install. I just installed postgresql, mariadb, apache2 and haven't even finished the whole configuration. Maybe hunspell-32bit came along with some small packages I installed. If I recall : nemo, parcellite (which keyboard shorcut does not work by the way..) and http-yast2-server and .. That's all.

    I didn't try to tweak (and did not put my head into) libreoffice yet with all latex stuff. So I really don't know why I had all those libreoffice-(gnome/gtk3/kde4) checked..

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Anyway, we learned something in this journey.
    Yes indeed..

    Tek Ma'te..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    I made a few other tests and I can reproduce your finding only when copying from a .pdf file displayed by Evince document viewer in Gnome. Apparently Evince only copies unformatted text to the clipboard and that is what LO-Writer offers to paste.

    When copying from a .pdf file displayed by Okular in KDE, I have the choice to copy as text or graphics and LO-Writer offers to paste accordingly.
    When copying from Firefox or Evolution I'm offered to paste HTML or unformatted text.
    When copying from Apache OpenOffice I'm offered to paste a full spectrum of options.
    And the same is true when copying from other apps (Calc, Impress, Draw...) from both LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

    So, if you need further help, please specify:
    1) what document format you are copying from;
    2) what application you are using to display that document;
    3) what you are actually copying (formatted text, HTML, image ...);
    4) what document format you are pasting into and/or what LO application you are using to paste;
    5) possibly, what Desktop environment you are using (KDE, Gnome or whatever).

    Hope this helps.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  8. #8

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Thanks Orso for all the effort.
    But actually this is an internal issue, within the application : when I copy/paste a paragraph from a document inside the same document but somewhere else. The same issue remains from document to a new or existing one. All in LibreOffice.

    It's really too bad because I really like the easy tweaky thing of opensuse but I have to many strange bugs with it. I already had to remove it from one of my other computers and it seems that I will have to do the same with this one..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,327

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Quote Originally Posted by sussu_dio View Post
    ... But actually this is an internal issue, within the application : when I copy/paste a paragraph from a document inside the same document but somewhere else. The same issue remains from document to a new or existing one. All in LibreOffice ...
    Just for information... I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe.

    Take a look at this screenshot:

    http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/bf389681

    If you believe you've found a reproducible bug in LO then I'd file a report at:

    https://bugs.documentfoundation.org
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191203) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: LibreOffice paste issue

    Hi Paul, you are actually using a newer version (5.1.0.3) on Tumbleweed, but I can't reproduce here either with 5.0.4 on Leap Gnome.
    Even tried with older .sxw documents from OpenOffice 1.0... NOPE, not reproducible!

    @sussu_dio
    Is the problem still visible with a fresh, simple document?
    Was the problem document originally saved by another version or application? Is it very large, does it contain large graphics or is it in any way "unusual"?

    Sorry we can't help with what we cannot see...
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •