Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: what happened to Apper?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Michigan/Florida
    Posts
    65

    Default what happened to Apper?

    Hi,
    It seems apper disappeared with the last updates a couple days back.
    I went to reinstall it and it isn't compatible with plasma any longer.

    Will it be updated or is it gone for good?

    Greg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    Hi,
    It seems apper disappeared with the last updates a couple days back.
    I went to reinstall it and it isn't compatible with plasma any longer.

    Will it be updated or is it gone for good?

    Greg
    Replaced by plasma5-pk-updates AFAIU. Do you have that installed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Michigan/Florida
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    I do have plasma5-pk-updates installed and found software management in yast.

    I'll miss apper but will get along fine. Apper was easier to use than software management for most things.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    I do have plasma5-pk-updates installed and found software management in yast.

    I'll miss apper but will get along fine. Apper was easier to use than software management for most things.
    Well, plasma5-pk-updates is a Plasma 5 front-end for PackageKit and has a 'Software Updates' widget. It works essentially the same way Apper did. Do you not have this? The YaST software management utilities have always been around, so no change there.

    FWIW, I don't particularly like desktop update notifiers, and usually just use zypper instead.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 13-Feb-2016 at 23:41.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Michigan/Florida
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    I use the notifier just to know when updates are available but like you i use zypper to apply them. Software management or apper was is used only when I'm looking for something I want to install or remove

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    I use the notifier just to know when updates are available but like you i use zypper to apply them. Software management or apper was is used only when I'm looking for something I want to install or remove
    Me too. I used to kill apper because it used to lock up my access to zypper and Yast software module. But the plasma tool is relatively benign and I left it intact because I like to get the heads-up to run zypper. In the old no-apper situation, I had to run "zypper dup -D" and wait through the refresh cycle just to see if it was worth running zypper dup, and that was a bother.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  7. #7
    Jon_Freeman NNTP User

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Me too. I used to kill apper because it used to lock up my access to zypper and Yast software module. But the plasma tool is relatively benign and I left it intact because I like to get the heads-up to run zypper. In the old no-apper situation, I had to run "zypper dup -D" and wait through the refresh cycle just to see if it was worth running zypper dup, and that was a bother.
    I used to uninstall and "blacklist" (otherwise it often wanted to be reinstalled in Yast software) apper and have the replacement one disabled in the system tray settings.

    There are 2 things I haven't liked about them. One is the "interference" with Yast/zypper. The other is that compared to my preferred method of Yast/Software/Package/All Packages/Update if newer version available (yes it's long winded but that's what I do...) is that I've never found them that "complete". I don't know whether this is because they would need to be notified of repositories I add manually in Yast or whether they only report updates of a certain level (eg. security updates) but they have only ever reported some of the available updates for me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    I'll miss apper but will get along fine. Apper was easier to use than software management for most things.
    You should be able to install apper again if you uninstall (and lock) plasma5-pk-updates.

    But you'll lose the update notifier then, as Apper's applet only works in Plasma4, it has not been ported yet to Plasma5.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Michigan/Florida
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: what happened to Apper?

    All good answers and I'm thinking leaving it as is will be best. Everything works well and I like most the changes coming online with plasma 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •