Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - MultiSeat

Lightbulb Question - MultiSeat

Hello,

Would have a chance to set up Linux
    OpenSuse 42.1 Leap to be "multiseat"?

Thank you a lot!!

Default Re: Question - MultiSeat

And what is your definition of "multiseat"? Do you perhaps mean multi-user? If so, openSUSE, being a linux distribution, and unix-like, is multi-user naturally.
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

In my case it would be the following.
    Two people to use a single computer on different monitors each with its keyboard and mouse.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aft7e3WYj2k

Blog Entries

If I understand what you are saying, "seats" typically is a term often used describing licenses... Typically the number of Users who are permitted to access and use the install instance according to various definitions (eg concurrent, total, logged in, etc).

Linux is also free, open source and open to <use> without restriction (there are restrictions on copying and distributing), and is even multi-User (multiple Users can log in and use concurrently).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Question Re: Question - MultiSeat

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If I understand what you are saying, "seats" typically is a term often used describing licenses...
    Would you like to share any more experiences around software evolution for multiseat, multi-station or multiterminal configurations?

Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration

By that definition,
    I'm not sure how practical that implementation is today compared to multiple Users remoting into a common system using SSH or similar, or a variety of virtual desktop software.

The defined "multi-seat" in the above wikipedia article requires extensive hardware setup and configuration. It's marginally cheaper than using fully independent dumb clients which today might be as cheap as a RPi Model B (approx $35 with ethernet ports), maybe cheaper (Maybe the RPi zero with a USB network dongle? Maybe a $9 CHIP with similar?).

When hardware was more costly, a "multiseat" might have made more sense, I don't know that is the case today.

IMO,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    When hardware was more costly, a "multiseat" might have made more sense, I don't know that is the case today.
    1. How do you think about to distribute computation power and management efforts between local workstations and bigger machines (or clusters) to use various services and resources in a more efficient and safer way?
    2. How flexible would you like to handle such a mixture?

Further examples:

Quote Originally Posted by kholyphoenix1 View Post
    Two people to use a single computer on different monitors each with its keyboard and mouse.
    Have you got any expectations or special requirements for the connection of such devices to your seats?

Thanks for the help and clarification.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    1. How do you think about to distribute computation power and management efforts between local workstations and bigger machines (or clusters) to use various services and resources in a more efficient and safer way?
    2. How flexible would you like to handle such a mixture?

Further examples:
    Based on the given definition of multiseat, it's severely restricted by how many devices can be connected directly into the Server... connections to monitors, connectors to I/O devices like keyboards and mice. Off the shelf I/O hardware generally assumes a limited number of connections per hardware expansion card and your backplane will limit the number of expansion hardware, eg 1 or 2 video connections, single mouse and keyboard. If you want something with greater capacity, you need expansion hardware and perhaps unusual, custom hardware.

Compare that with the cost I quoted for a "thin client" (not a full workstation) connecting over standard, high capacity media like ethernet. Especially for very high numbers of clients(equivalent of seats) alternatives are nearly the same or even cheaper. You'd largely still use the same or similar necessary Linux multi-User features without the higher hardware costs.

So, I doubt you'll find much effort or "success stories" within the past 4 years or so.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast