Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 42.1 LVM Encrypted issues during boot

Blog Entries

Default Re: 42.1 LVM Encrypted issues during boot

I'll add:

My own 42.1 system is setup similarly to what malcolmlewis is suggesting -- with a separate "/boot" outside the LVM. That way, I only have to enter the encryption key once.

I do have Tumbleweed setup the way that you are using it. And, when I first tried that, I ran into the problems that you describe (or worse). But I reported a bug, and worked with the opensuse team to fix that bug in Tumbleweed, which now works as it should. But they forgot to put that bug fix into the released 42.1.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Yes, user gogalthorp is referring to something like this (dual boot openSUSE Leap 42.1 and Windows 8.1);

Code:
    lsblk

NAME                                         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
    sda                                            8:0    0 298.1G  0 disk
    ├─sda1                                         8:1    0   260M  0 part  /boot/efi
    ├─sda2                                         8:2    0   128M  0 part
    ├─sda3                                         8:3    0   500M  0 part  /boot
    ├─sda4                                         8:4    0   200G  0 part
    │ └─cr_ata-TOSHIBA_MK3275GSX_91Q7B2OZB-part4 254:0    0   200G  0 crypt
    │   ├─secure-swap                            254:1    0     8G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
    │   ├─secure-leap                            254:2    0    40G  0 lvm   /
    │   └─secure-data                            254:3    0   100G  0 lvm   /data
    └─sda5                                         8:5    0  97.2G  0 part
    This worked like a charm thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    No, I am referring to the BIOS. I assume that you can turn off secure-boot there.
    I have never tried getting into BIOS on a mac, let me see if I find something about that.

Unfortunately, there were some UEFI problems with the 42.1 install media. And you have installed in a way that hits all of them. But, as far as I know, they are all fixed. So the question is of how to get far enough to be able to update your system
    I am able to boot now with the other option of having boot outside of LVM, so I will update now and then check.

Quote Originally Posted by pavibhai View Post
    I have never tried getting into BIOS on a mac,
    I do not think Mac supports secure boot at all.

I'll add:

My own 42.1 system is setup similarly to what malcolmlewis is suggesting -- with a separate "/boot" outside the LVM. That way, I only have to enter the encryption key once.

I do have Tumbleweed setup the way that you are using it. And, when I first tried that, I ran into the problems that you describe (or worse). But I reported a bug, and worked with the opensuse team to fix that bug in Tumbleweed, which now works as it should. But they forgot to put that bug fix into the released 42.1.
    Thanks for your help and clarification. I would also like to try Tumbleweed and am happy to hear that most likely I might not hit this issue there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12