Acer ASPIRE V5-571 will not shutdown keeps rebooting

I now have two laptops both with Leap installed one (an ASUS) works fine and will shutdown OK. The other an Acer ASPIRE V5-571 will not, almost everytime I click on shutdown it will close down and after a couple of seconds or so it turns on again and boots up. I usually resort to stopping at grub at hit the power button which turns it off.

As far as I can see both have very similar packages installed including laptop_mode_tools and both have wake-on-lan disabled in bios. I tried the trick of acpi=noirq on boot up but then my wireless lan wont work.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Stuart

I should have pointed out that hibernate works OK and the laptop powers off OK and resumes OK, it’s just shutdown which does not work correctly.

Stuart

I just tried shutdown -P as root asnd it rebooted rather than powering off completely.

Stuart

Well I’ve been trying lots of things and have found that adding a grub boot option of acpi=force fixes the problem and it shuts down and stays off. This only started to happen when I installed Leap, previously this laptop had Fedora 21 installed and that had no problems at all shutting down. Anyway I have a way round the issue but it should not happen in the first place.

Stuart

You should file a bug report. Possibly a kernel-related regression.

Well a further update… it wold seem that the acpi=force did not entirely fix it just reduce the incidence of it happening. Researching bugzilla I found a couple of existing bugs which seemed to indicate this is a problem with xchi_hcd and may only affect some Intel systems (which this is, although so is my other laptop which does NOT have this problem). Some systems exhibiting this problem have quite a lot of BIOS options which may be of help but this laptop does not have any USB related settings in its BIOS. See bug number 942211.

Anyway by adding xhci_hcd.quirks=270336 (or in some cases 262144) to grtub again seems to have resolved this (so far) for me, I wont be completely sure for a few days as this is my wife’s laptop and does not get used a lot.

Stuart

Thanks for the update. It may be of help to others who come searching.