Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chromium failed to launch "Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_

Default chromium failed to launch "Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_

Hi,
    just installed latest kernel (3.16.7-32-desktop) and now cannot launch (either direct from desktop or from within a terminal) the Chromium web browser (version 48.0.2564.82-67.1-x86_64). I now get error message (when trying to launch from with a terminal) -
    Code:
    Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)
    Have checked that Chromium still works with previous kernel (3.16.7-29-desktop) and it does.

Has anybody else experienced this? And could it be a recurrence of this :
    HTML Code:
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=480017
    cheers

Default Re: chromium failed to launch "Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map",

I now see that a bug has been raised for this - Bug 965308

Default Re: chromium failed to launch "Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map",

I encountered the same problem. And the same error message in the terminal.

I have the same problem on both chromium and chrome. And what is the link to the above mentioned bug report?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

Quote Originally Posted by nerderello View Post
    Hi,
    just installed latest kernel (3.16.7-32-desktop) and now cannot launch (either direct from desktop or from within a terminal) the Chromium web browser (version 48.0.2564.82-67.1-x86_64). I now get error message (when trying to launch from with a terminal) -
    Code:
    Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)
    Have checked that Chromium still works with previous kernel (3.16.7-29-desktop) and it does.

Has anybody else experienced this? And could it be a recurrence of this :
    HTML Code:
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=480017
    cheers
    A little searching on google provided a fix for chrome and chromium not loading after kernel update.

Start chrome as:
    /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U --disable-namespace-sandbox

and start chromium as:
    chromium --disable-namespace-sandbox

This has worked for me to allow loading for these programs. I did not follow logic of what the reasoning behind this and whether this will be fixed later on but above works for me.
    32bit, opensuse 13.2, mate desktop.

Tom Kosvic

Excellent solution. Worked for me.
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

Worked here too - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Windsoarer View Post
    Worked here too - thanks
    Yes, it works for me. Here is some additional info that was generated on my terminal:
    Code:
    [2362:2392:0206/104203:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files[2362:2392:0206/104203:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(411)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
    [2362:2392:0206/104204:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
    [2362:2392:0206/104204:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(411)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
    [WARNING:flash/platform/pepper/pep_module.cpp(63)] SANDBOXED
    Does this help to clarify the origin of the problem?
    Lenovo IdeaPad,Y510p. openSUSE LEAP 42.3 (x86_64). KDE. Intel i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD/HD drive. NVIDIA GT755M 2GB (not installed yet).

Same here with "google-chrome-stable" and openSUSE 13.2 x86_64 using "kernel-desktop-3.16.7-32.1.x86_64".

With the previous kernel it worked fine.

Running "google-chrome-stable --disable-namespace-sandbox" works for me as well.

I'm not on a multi-user system so this is fine in the interim to a fix.

Cheers all,

Tele2win

So what are the real security implications of using
    Code:
    --disable-namespace-sandbox
    Is it better to revert the kernel update and wait for a replacement? (I myself tend to be more concerned about web/network born exploits than potential local kernel exploits for example)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast