Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound card greyed out in Kmix, not visible in plasma5-pa in Leap 42.1

Jon_Freeman NNTP User

Default Re: Sound card greyed out in Kmix, not visible in plasma5-pa in Leap 42.1

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You can of course not use pulse if that is your whim
    I like to think of it as an option Yast provides in its sound card configuration module...

, but a lot of the system assumes pulse so you are bound to have problems.
    Time will tell but no complaints from the other 2 users so far. That and my own desktop has run without pulse audio (over various OpenSUSE versions) for a long while.

That said, as far as I remember, the other 2 PCs here are using pulse...

Default Re: Sound card greyed out in Kmix, not visible in plasma5-pa in Leap 42.1

Pulse + pavucontrol gives a huge amount of control on how the sound works at an application level . ie you can set one application to go to earphones and another to speaker or HDMI etc.Also sound mixing from multiple sources is over all better then not running pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Freeman View Post
    I set timidity up on our new TW laptop last week. One suggestion I found on the arch wiki was to have it start as an "auto start" program in the desktop rather than running it as a service.

Looking at the laptop's setup, I have opted to start timidity in the desktop but I have also disabled pulse audio. I know it's only a week ago and I'm sure there were reasons why I went this way but I also wanted a set up for Jack and I can't remember whether I disabled pulse audio for that rather than for timidity...
    Running timidity as system service breaks pulseaudio.
    If pulseaudio is disabled anyway, you can do that without problems though, i.e. enable it with "systemctl enable timidity" or in YaST->System->Services Manager (but then you should of course not run it as a user "auto start" program).

See also /usr/share/doc/packages/timidity/README.SUSE .

Jon_Freeman NNTP User

Pulse + pavucontrol gives a huge amount of control on how the sound works at an application level . ie you can set one application to go to earphones and another to speaker or HDMI etc.Also sound mixing from multiple sources is over all better then not running pulse.
    Sure, I believe pulse audio can do some things that some will find useful. I don't really see it being needed on the systems where I have it disabled though.

I'm not sure what you mean by multiple sources but if you mean external things like mics, I do it with my "sound cards". The default sound card on my PC is a Yamaha USB mixer. (MIDI on that PC uses an Edirol interface and a Yamaha PSR keyboard - no need for timidity on that one).

I've also got a Zoom recorder that can act as a sound card with 6 input channels - I'm hoping that I'll get round to playing with that (and Jack and Ardour) on the laptop one day...

It is not "needed" but can present you with problems due to it not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Glad to read you have a solution. Skimming through that bug report - and from what I can read, the problem was the application 'timidity' had seized your audio device and was not sharing it . Its definitely pretty advanced wrt finding a solution.
    That was one part of the problem, the other part is that pulseaudio is not designed to take advantage of the fact that this soundcard has 32 subdevices, of which timidity only takes one. Not many soundcards have that ability, I understand, so it's not worthwhile to add that functionality to pulseaudio. Now pulseaudio thinks the card is busy, while it is not, at least not fully.

In this case, I can skip timidity at all, and load soundfonts in the hardware: it has a wavetable synth of 64 voices.

Maybe it's also possible to let timidity use pulseaudio, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jehojakim View Post
    Maybe it's also possible to let timidity use pulseaudio, I don't know.
    Yes, it is.
    See /usr/share/doc/packages/timidity/README.SUSE as I already wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, it is.
    See /usr/share/doc/packages/timidity/README.SUSE as I already wrote.
    I did read that file, but it mentions only use of timidity as a user (probably on top of pulseaudio, although that is not explicitly stated in the file), not system wide AND use pulseaudio.

Quote Originally Posted by jehojakim View Post
    I did read that file, but it mentions only use of timidity as a user (probably on top of pulseaudio, although that is not explicitly stated in the file), not system wide AND use pulseaudio.
    Yes.
    Pulseaudio is run as user as well and only started after login, so you cannot run timidity system wide AND use pulseaudio.

There is a way to run pulseaudio systemwide as well, but I never tried it.
    In that case you probably could just modify the settings in /etc/sysconfig/timidity accordingly to use pulseaudio as output.

Jon_Freeman NNTP User

It is not "needed" but can present you with problems due to it not being used.
    Sorry to come back to this drift which I had intended to let go of but in fairness to gogalthorp, I think I ought to mention this.

When I referred to needs, I was meaning what we as users have needed from audio. I've not had problems in years of running some computers without pulse audio.

That said, something cropped up that I hadn't foreseen even as late as yesterday afternoon! My parents got a Yamaha SRT 1000 sound base yesterday and having played with sending music to it from my phone, thought it would be rather nice for my father (who doesn't use androids) to be able to send stuff he browses on youtube through to it using the laptop.

I've found found that pulse audio with pauvcontrol does indeed provide a nice (and perhaps with bluez5 only supporting pulse - only current) solution for this. Late in the day for me but this really is the first time I've ever dealt with bluetooth sound.

For me, on the laptop, I think I've now found something that does shift things in favour of pulse audio. I'll look to find a more complete solution with pulse, timidity and Jack later in the week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast