Thread: Applications are all starting to fail with segmentation fault

Default Applications are all starting to fail with segmentation fault

kde version 4.14.9
    At this moment these are working:
    ksnapshot k3b kpatience kmix gftp mplayer openoffice libreoffice gimp kmail firefox quantaplus vlc puse-audio okular and showfoto

When I tried to run kwave I got missing mp3 demuxer under phonon-gstremer-backend so I tried using phonon-vlc-backend and kwave responded with kwave has created a segmentation fault and kwave closed. Retried kwave and got immediately segmentation fault.

Tried vls, mplayer, ksnapshot, kpatience and these still worked.

Tried each of the following and got segmentation faults errors on each
    kblocks Amorok recorditnow digicam dragonplayer knotepad

Tried these and they are kinda working
    cinelerra does video - no sound found
    Audio-recorder - tries but crashes with no sound device
    Gwenview crashes only when trying to close the application

Now getting knotify has caused errors and will be shutdown everytime I try to close the working apps

Previous to this I had no sound & got sound working by
    1. kde repository active
    2. kde-extra's repository active
    3. packman repository active
    4. normal 4 base opensuse repositories active

did zypper dup --from (url of packman) which
    found 1500 conflicts
    removing 5 packages
    updated 93 packages

doing this got vlc pulse-audio kmix mplayer phonon-gstreamer-backend and phonon-vlc-backend working

sound works great but now my apps are broken any hints about fixing all the segmentation faults and crashes??

ps i removed kblocks kwave Amorok and dragonplayer
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Default Re: Applications are all starting to fail with segmentation fault

Uninstall phonon-backend-vlc. The version in 13.2 doesn't work at all with the latest VLC from Packman, and will cause *every* KDE application to crash when it tries to play sound (e.g. when showing a warning/error dialog).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Uninstall phonon-backend-vlc. The version in 13.2 doesn't work at all with the latest VLC from Packman, and will cause *every* KDE application to crash when it tries to play sound (e.g. when showing a warning/error dialog).
    Ouch!
    what do I use then
    phonon-gstreamer-backend does not work with alsa,

alsa says I have
    snd-hda/hdmi-intel -> 8channel output to hdmi slot only for external speakers
    snd-hda/hdmi-intel -> 2 channel stero input from mic & 2 channel output to internal speakers using pulse-audio

Qjack/jackd crashes if pulse-audio is enabled, without pulse-audio it complains there is no input or output devices so can't configure.

Can I eliminate phonon and not install qjack/jackd and just stay with alsa??
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Once again you are right phonon-vlc-backend was causing crashes of kde apps and others too. removed it and somehow still have sound except in amorok, kwave, Audio-recorder , recorditnow, and dragon player.

Installed Live and it has sound and is similar to cinelerra so if I can keep from crashing when I add stills that might give me the ability to make some instruction video's.

Thanks for the help all my best to you

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Ouch!
    what do I use then
    phonon-gstreamer-backend does not work with alsa,
    Of course it does. I'm using it here with ALSA (don't have PulseAudio installed).

Can I eliminate phonon and not install qjack/jackd and just stay with alsa??
    No.
    Phonon is Qt4/KDE's multimedia abstraction layer, if an application uses Phonon, it needs Phonon. Amarok does, and the KDE4 desktop as well (for notification sounds in particular as mentioned already).

Cinelerra and kwave definitely don't use Phonon at all though.
    For kwave at least you can choose whether it should use PulseAudio, ALSA or OSS.
    Amarok and Dragonplayer only support Phonon, no idea about recorditnow and "Audio-recorder" (whatever that is), but I doubt they use it.

If you want to use phonon-backend-vlc, you'd need to compile it against the latest VLC. Or ask someone to do it, e.g. Packman could probably provide it, which would make sure that it's compatible with their VLC package.
    Or install the vlc packages from the standard 13.2 repos, but those don't come with the restricted codecs...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 29-Jan-2016 at 02:50.