View Poll Results: Are you disappointed with the feature regressions in Plasma5?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disappointed with the regressions

11 68.75%
  • Pleased with the regressions

0 0%
  • Don't care

5 31.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you disappointed with the feature regressions in Plasma5?

Default Re: Are you disappointed with the feature regressions in Plasma5?

Oh look no votes for Pleased with the regressions.
    Just like the evolving in nature, the endless circle of stable and new versions I shift with my chameleon from one DE to the other*

*Other being all those variants of GNOME
    VERBA VOLANT, SCRIPTA MANENT

I am pleased to announce that, thanks to some heavy work by David Edmundson, different VDesktops will be coming back! All we need now is patience, and if anyone reading this has the capability, why not pitch in?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341143
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I am pleased to announce that, thanks to some heavy work by David Edmundson, different VDesktops will be coming back! All we need now is patience, and if anyone reading this has the capability, why not pitch in?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341143
    Yes, saw the same. And please give him a chance to do so without floodiing that bug report with useless rants. Only positive contributions (like design/programming help) by people that know how things should be done, are wanted.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Yes, saw the same. And please give him a chance to do so without floodiing that bug report with useless rants. Only positive contributions (like design/programming help) by people that know how things should be done, are wanted.
    veeeeeryyygoood :-) :-) :-) :-) , I cannot understand about technicity but it seems more simple than before claimed :-) :-) ..or somebody can explain me how the magic happen as I were a 5years old child??

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    veeeeeryyygoood :-) :-) :-) :-) , I cannot understand about technicity but it seems more simple than before claimed :-) :-) ..or somebody can explain me how the magic happen as I were a 5years old child??
    Well, it is still a bit complicated ... but, the "magic" happened because David Edmundson felt the need was real and pushed forward with it with dedicated perseverence.

That, despite the fact it would have been understandable if he had just washed his hand of the whole thing and walked away from it because of the unkind rants and complaints when he was trying to do something about it.

I would like to repeat what Henk said, because it is of utmost importance:
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    ... please give him a chance to do so without floodiing that bug report with useless rants. Only positive contributions (like design/programming help) by people that know how things should be done, are wanted.
    I highlighted the main points in Henk's advisory.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Some things certainly took a little getting used to moving to Plasma 5, and most of the ones that I care about have third-party options. On many things, it's just a matter of waiting for adoption to increase so that people who have actual coding skill beyond fairly basic bash and perl create plasmoids to address. One of the ones that drives me up the wall though is that the option for a global menu bar is broken. It's one of those things that I got hooked on when I used Macs, and kept using on Linux. It also makes sense from a usability standpoint in an era of widescreen displays and laptop machines.

I agree that the matter of the VD was disappointing, and it is heartening to read that this may change. As an ignoramus, I would like to add that my impression (not knowledge!) is that Plasma5 is tougher in some ways than the predecessor. Leap seems to be better with Radeon graphics problems. So I am not complaining too much about the VD / KDE matter.

I would most especially like to thank all those on this thread for having cleared up the whole thing for me, since I at first thought the problem might be isolated (I have had funny problems in the graphics area before, without these problems being of a general nature).

Let's hope that the VD problem is fixed soon, and meantime thanks again for all the info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123