Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Machine Manager guest cannot find USB host devices after reboot

Question Virtual Machine Manager guest cannot find USB host devices after reboot

I add 2 USB host devices to a Windows guest and when I run the guest it can access them.

However after I reboot the host and I try to access them again I get an error box saying:

Code:
    Error starting domain: internal error: Did not find USB device 56d:2 bus:5 device:3

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 89, in cb_wrapper
        callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 125, in tmpcb
        callback(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/libvirtobject.py", line 83, in newfn
        ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1433, in startup
        self._backend.create()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1029, in create
        if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
    libvirtError: internal error: Did not find USB device 56d:2 bus:5 device:3
    and the only way to solve this is remove the 2 devices and add them back.

What is the reason and how can this be fixed?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Virtual Machine Manager guest cannot find USB host devices after reboot

Do you see the same error if you shutdown the Guest completely, wait a few seconds and then power up again?

It would be interesting if a Guest suffers from a problem which used to be seen on physical machines where the USB device doesn't shut down completely during the reboot and has to be remounted because rebooting doesn't shutdown devices completely (you'd think that this normally hardware problem should not occur in software).

TSU

Default Re: Virtual Machine Manager guest cannot find USB host devices after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Do you see the same error if you shutdown the Guest completely, wait a few seconds and then power up again?
    No. But it is the second time I notice something else: When I open YaST and click "Create Virtual Machines for Xen and KVM" - a waiting mouse cursor appears for a second and then nothing. Click again - same. Nothing. And nothing in journal too. Only host reboot solves this.

It would be interesting if a Guest suffers from a problem which used to be seen on physical machines where the USB device doesn't shut down completely during the reboot and has to be remounted because rebooting doesn't shutdown devices completely (you'd think that this normally hardware problem should not occur in software).
    I am not sure I understand completely your doubts but the hardware works fine. I am using it with Windows on a dual boot too. These are actually my 2 monitors which have USB ports for controlling them from the computer (in case that matters).

BTW why do I have to be root in order to run VM guests (i.e. open YaST and then run them)? Is there a way to run a guest as user?

Blog Entries

Am saying that the problem used to be a hardware mounting problem many, many years ago and not something wrong with your hardware. And, would not be expected in a pure software deployment like virtualization.

Managing your virtulaization is considered a serious security issue, not much different than logging into your session directly as root. Maybe worse.

But, it's a commonly requested config which is easily accomplished by adding your specified User account to the appropriate User Group (which is authorized to launch the virtualization services). In your case, this is likely the kvm User Group.

TSU

Ok, I learned how to run the VM as user. Thanks.

How about the main issue with the USB? Any idea how to investigate this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Ok, I learned how to run the VM as user. Thanks.

How about the main issue with the USB? Any idea how to investigate this?
    If as you describe this happens only on reboot and not with a "power" (virtual) shutdown and then a cold start,
    Then you should probably submit a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.

TSU

So the people in bugzilla say it is not a bug and I should use USB passthrough by adding a PCI Host Device instead of USB one. I was told that:

BTW, please make sure that your host kernel includes VFIO support(Check it by searching 'CONFIG_VFIO_PCI=m' in your kernel config file)
    but I really don't know where to check/set this parameter and I am not getting any more replies in bugzilla when I asked.

Can someone please explain how to do that?

Actually it seems even this is not a good option as my mouse is connected to the USB port of the monitor and as soon as I add a PCI Host Device and start the guest I can no longer use the mouse (as all my other USB ports are already used for other devices). So my option is either to sacrifice another USB device or manually re-add USB Host Controllers after each reboot.

Pretty bad usability.

Blog Entries

First,
    I'd like to say that I agree completely with the bugzilla analysis that the problem is fundamentally that your USB device is changing its ID.

Without more information, I'd disagree (and you may have verified) that using a PCI pass-through would be a good workaround...

The main question I'd ask before anything else (which doesn't seem to have been asked yet) is whether your USB mouse really has to be configured as a pass-through device. It seems to me that if the device is recognized on Guest boot up, it might load and mount the mouse as a new device without any problems associated with the fixed parameters of a pass through.

The next thing I'd recommend is to plug your USB mouse into a USB port on your computer itself, not through a USB port in your monitor. The USB controllers for each may be wired up differently... the USB ports directly installed in your machine likely connected to the PCI bus might behave differently than however the USB controller is on your monitor (my guess is that you have a dedicated USB cable between your monitor and your machine thereby creating cascading USB controllers?). Although theoretically you can do this, it's well known that individual USB devices can behave erratically and your mouse passed to a virtual Guest may be one.

TSU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast