Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing desktop at login

Default changing desktop at login

Hello,

I've installed Leap 42.1 with Plasma 5. DM is SDDM. But at login screen, I cant change the desktop and I'm always forced to use Plasma 5.
    So what can I do to be able to load another desktop at the login screen? And, how can I login with the root account? I could do those tasks when I used Opensuse 13.2 with KDE4

Thanks for any tips

Default Re: changing desktop at login

You should never login with the root account and certainlly not in the GUI: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ALogin_as_root
    Henk van Velden

I know that point for the root and the security reason. I do it in some cases for a few reasons (old habits from Windows world).
    But my main problem is to change the desktop at login at least. The root access is not absolutely necessary.

Blog Entries

Although I don't use SDDM, so far I've installed several openSUSE with various base Desktops and all have supported logging in with a different installed Desktop (You did install the additional Desktops, right?). Even if you haven't installed another Desktop you should at least see an option to login with IceWM which is default on all openSUSE no matter what Desktop(s) might be installed.

Post a screenshot or camera pic of your login screen to verify you're not given that option.

As for logging in with root,
    Although root may not ever appear as a clickable choice, if I have to login with root I have always been able to select "Other User" and specify root to successfully login that way.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by jnowe View Post
    Hello,

I've installed Leap 42.1 with Plasma 5. DM is SDDM. But at login screen, I cant change the desktop and I'm always forced to use Plasma 5.
    Thanks for any tips
    My login screen is a banner in the middle of the screen extending from left edge to right edge.
    On the left is a box containing 'plasma5'. Click the box and dropdown offers icewm. I have to use that DM when I use libreoffice because kwin_x11 crashes in libreoffice. Then I logout and return to Plasma. Inconvenient but works for me.

I've installed several desktops with Yast.
    On the login screen, I can select the desktop I want and the language setting. But even if I select the desktop I want, it's not loaded after entering my credentials.

what graphic card and driver do you have, do you use opensource (nouveau) or propitiatory drivers?
    gnome can be resource intensive and requres hardware acceleration from propitiatory drivers, with some chips gnome can take minutes to load, try Window Maker or Openbox those are light as a feather, or there could be something wrong with your user profile, create another user and see if it can load a different desktop, personally I haven't used Gnome in ages and Enlightenment always crashed for me, I only use plasma 5, lxqt (from the lxqt repo the oss version is too old) and Window Maker they load fine on Leap for me.

Blog Entries

BAsed on your screenshot,

If you select the Gnome Desktop, you should see a radically different Desktop. Are you sure you're not seeing that?
    Depending on your Enlightenment setup options (select on first logon), it might not look too different than Plasma, but could also look more like a mobile desktop like Android or iOS.
    XFCE should look very different than Plasma.

Your other options aren't full Desktops, so YMMV. Maybe those choices will look different, maybe not.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    BAsed on your screenshot,

If you select the Gnome Desktop, you should see a radically different Desktop. Are you sure you're not seeing that?
    Depending on your Enlightenment setup options (select on first logon), it might not look too different than Plasma, but could also look more like a mobile desktop like Android or iOS.
    XFCE should look very different than Plasma.

Your other options aren't full Desktops, so YMMV. Maybe those choices will look different, maybe not.

TSU
    Sorry dude but, there's no difference when I select another desktop. I'm always logged on KDE5. It looks as if the DM can't accept another desktop than KDE5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast