Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In which directory should I compile from source?

Blog Entries

Default Re: In which directory should I compile from source?

Hi
    Quite a few.... In the first instance I suggest waiting for a reply from the home user and their package.

I also note that bareos has a label and update slots command (according to the documentation)?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Quite a few.... In the first instance I suggest waiting for a reply from the home user and their package.
    That's exactly what I am doing + waiting for a reply on a bug report on Bareos. They seem to question some block size discrepancy.

I also note that bareos has a label and update slots command (according to the documentation)?
    The label is the root problem because of which I cannot use Bareos. As for update slots - I don't have an autochanger.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Looking further I see it's a linked package. The original is at;
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...aevseev/bacula

I suggest you install the version from here;
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...v/openSUSE_42/

Then see how it all goes, the above project has a complete project config, the project you used doesn't which could be causing issues.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Then see how it all goes, the above project has a complete project config, the project you used doesn't which could be causing issues.
    What do you mean by project config?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Thanks.

What do you mean by project config?
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/prjconf/home:gody
    compared to;
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/prjconf/home:aevseev

Now in saying that, looking at the build log it does show some systemd warnings that should be fixed (well I would);
    https://build.opensuse.org/build/hom...64/bacula/_log

I also note that have you started the relevant systemd services and checked the status?

If I had a way to test (I do have tape drives, but on sparc systems ) I could probably help more, but hopefully the maintainer/packager can assist better since I'm assuming they are using it....

Blog Entries

The likely better way to discover dependencies and how to build is to follow the Bacula documentation.

Note that it's a separate download from the main source files (you can get both at the following link)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacu.../bacula/7.2.0/

Unfortunately, it looks like just unpacking and deploying the documentation is itself an exercise, after you unpack the documentation's files, your first step should always be to read the README file and in this case it lists the documentation's dependencies (latex2html, te_latex, tetex) and copy files to a running website (your choice. You can install and deploy an Apache website or I strongly recommend instead a nodejs or similar webserver if you know how. See my "How To" for installing nodejs at the end if you want to do this).

Not all, but most major projects nowadays have documentation even newbies might be able to follow.

TSU

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/nodejs

Looks like node.js changed their homepage which described invoking a simple webserver in a few seconds. Their official guide is a bit more complicated but is nuts and bolts. Simply put, create or copy the provided answer file, copy your website files to the correct location, invoke "createserver" and you're cooking. Once you've done it, you'll never use something big like Apache to simply launch a simple, temporary website like for Bacula's documentation
    https://nodejs.org/en/docs/guides/an...p-transaction/

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Obviously bacula could not create it's PID files in /var/run because that directory is owned and writeable by root only.
    One solution is to change service to create PID file in subdirectory (like /run/bacula) and pre-create this subdirectory with correct permissions using either tmpfiles snippet or ExecStartPre in service.

Then I found this info and manually changed the systemd bacula-*.services to use User=root.
    I do not know bacula internals, but usually you should always run your service with the least privileges possible. If this service does not need root, do not run it as root.

It seems home:gody and home:aevseev are the same user as the later matches the email address in the logs which you previously showed. However I still have no answer. I will try the second repo and see if the result is different.

BTW I now recall another discrepancy I found: the files /usr/sbin/bacula-* had owner root.root which I had to change to root.bacula to make it work as it was throwing a permission error in journal and couldn't work at all.
    Now in saying that, looking at the build log it does show some systemd warnings that should be fixed (well I would);
    https://build.opensuse.org/build/hom...64/bacula/_log

I also note that have you started the relevant systemd services and checked the status?
    Sure. FD (file daemon) and SD (storage daemon) work. But DIR (the Director) which rules them all cannot even start as I have pasted in a previous post.

If I had a way to test (I do have tape drives, but on sparc systems ) I could probably help more, but hopefully the maintainer/packager can assist better since I'm assuming they are using it....
    Yes, I am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    The likely better way to discover dependencies and how to build is to follow the Bacula documentation.

Note that it's a separate download from the main source files (you can get both at the following link)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacu.../bacula/7.2.0/

Unfortunately, it looks like just unpacking and deploying the documentation is itself an exercise, after you unpack the documentation's files, your first step should always be to read the README file and in this case it lists the documentation's dependencies (latex2html, te_latex, tetex) and copy files to a running website (your choice. You can install and deploy an Apache website or I strongly recommend instead a nodejs or similar webserver if you know how. See my "How To" for installing nodejs at the end if you want to do this).

Not all, but most major projects nowadays have documentation even newbies might be able to follow.

TSU
    I know that but I haven't gone into those complications as the documentation is available online anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    One solution is to change service to create PID file in subdirectory (like /run/bacula) and pre-create this subdirectory with correct permissions using either tmpfiles snippet or ExecStartPre in service.
    I have been thinking the same. However considering so many "hacks" need to be used as workarounds I am questioning the ease of maintenance of such system in the long term (considering that this path is also in the *.service files as well as in the *.conf ones). With Bacula 5.2.13 I never had these problems and there was no need for making things so very custom in every sense just to make the software work.

I do not know bacula internals, but usually you should always run your service with the least privileges possible. If this service does not need root, do not run it as root.
    That's what I thought. I really don't know why it can't start as user 'bacula' though. Is that something that needs to be fixed during compilation or 'make install'?

I am going to make a few more tests before attempting to build the whole thing myself. But I am really trying to avoid making anything hard to maintain in the long term.

Ok, I tried setting the PID to a directory where Bacula can write - changed this both in /etc/bacula/bacula-*.conf and /usr/lib/systemd/system/bacula-*.services files. Same unfortunate result. The only difference is that now I could run the FD and SD services as user bacula but without a running DIR this is useless.

Then I removed all bacula packages, removed the repo home:gody and installed from home:aevseev. Result: exactly the same problems.

Considering all that and that it was mentioned that these issues affect the options I sould use for compilations - what options should I use actually?

Blog Entries

First,
    I don't know if you noticed that Bacula released 7.2.1-0 day before yesterday (as of this writing).

Also,
    Besides what is likely in the source, the following is an informal description of requirements. AFAIK, a default LEAP with the Development C pattern satisfies.
    http://blog.bacula.org/general/system-requirements/

I assume that you're downloading source from sourceforge.
    Taking a look at the project, it looks like although the source is "also" posted at sourceforge, the master copy and recommended is at bacula's git repos since 2009

How to clone latest bacula source and compile is at the following link. It's mainly written for Dev/Contributors, so ignore all the stuff about pulling to update to latest, creating a new branch, etc. Just clone the repo, run "./configure," make and likely "make install."
    http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/...Git_Usage.html

Commenting on previous posts in this thread,

Although most apps should be compiled and run with least privilege, I'm not so sure that should apply to Bacula. Bacula is an Admin type tool which requires root level permissions to perform (access to all file systems across the Enterprise regardless of User and often beyond normal User permissions). So, I'd actually suggest compiling in a root console and running as root. I don't even know if sudo would provide sufficient permissions across the Enterprise.

As for <where> to compile, I don't know if that should matter unless the compile targets a location within its own file tree. I would instead expect that the target location should default to some location like /opt (which again requires root permissions to write). Once the app has been compiled and installed, ordinarily you should be able to remove the source files if you wish.

TSU

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast