Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change jpeg to wallpaper image?

Default Change jpeg to wallpaper image?

I have a .jpg picture I'd like to use on my desktop, running OpenSuse 13.1

How do I convert that to a wallpaper image I can import to my desktop? And where do I put it?

I used to be able to do this with OpenSuse 11 but I've forgotten how to do this.

I know how to change wallpaper images, but not how to do this.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Default Re: Change jpeg to wallpaper image?

The answer to these questions just might depend on which desktop you are running.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    The answer to these questions just might depend on which desktop you are running.
    Yes.

But I suppose most desktops should be able to use a standard .jpg file as wallpaper image.
    There should be no need to convert it to anything, there's no special "wallpaper image" file format anyway (on Linux that is)...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes.

But I suppose most desktops should be able to use a standard .jpg file as wallpaper image.
    There should be no need to convert it to anything, there's no special "wallpaper image" file format anyway (on Linux that is)...
    Yep. I was referring to the "where do I put it question", because most desktops do indeed accept standard .jpg

Since I do not know Gnome, I am not certain wallpapers would be in the same place as they are in KDE.

Although, actually, you could put them anywhere, then just browse to them and choose them.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Since I do not know Gnome, I am not certain wallpapers would be in the same place as they are in KDE.

The standard system wallpapers are in /usr/share/wallpapers/, and that's pretty much standard for all desktops I think.

Although, actually, you could put them anywhere, then just browse to them and choose them.
    Yes, the location of the file should not matter really, and again I'd say this is the case for most desktops.

Just enter the desktop's settings, there should be an option to choose an image file as wallpaper somewhere. How to do this exactly, does of course depend on the desktop in use.
    For KDE you would right-click on the desktop (or left-click on the toolbox icon/"cashew" normally located in the upper-right corner of the screen) and choose "Desktop Settings".
    Btw, in the case of KDE, you can also just drag'n'drop an image file from a filemanager to the desktop to set it as wallpaper.

Btw, in the case of KDE, you can also just drag'n'drop an image file from a filemanager to the desktop to set it as wallpaper.
    Yes, and I am just guessing here, but that possibly works with a couple of the desktops.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Code:
    Originally Posted by wolfi323                                      

Comment: This does not work in my current (test) system (Leap42.1, KDE): the image file just gets copied/moved to the Desktop folder, but is not displayed. I tried this in modes "Desktop view" and "Folder view".

Quote Originally Posted by hws38 View Post
    Comment: This does not work in my current (test) system (Leap42.1, KDE): the image file just gets copied/moved to the Desktop folder, but is not displayed. I tried this in modes "Desktop view" and "Folder view".
    You should not drop it onto the folder view, this will copy the file.
    Drop it onto the desktop itself, on an empty space.

So obviously this will only work with the standard Desktop layout, not with the "Folder View" layout.

You should not drop it onto the folder view, this will copy the file.
    Drop it onto the desktop itself, on an empty space.

So obviously this will only work with the standard Desktop layout, not with the "Folder View" layout.
    Thanks !
    My apologies for the late reply: I have not had enough time at the computer, these days.
    Hans Schreuder

Quote Originally Posted by hws38 View Post
    My apologies for the late reply: I have not had enough time at the computer, these days.
    Understandable.
    Me neither...

But so, it is "fixed" for you now, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast