Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to switch off "Automatic Configuration" duriing installation?

Default How to switch off "Automatic Configuration" duriing installation?

I started my Leap 42. trials. New installation from DVD.

I am missing one of the first screens that was presented in earlier installations. It was called "Installation mode" and offered a checkbox "Use Automatic Configuration" that could be switched off. I can not find it in Leap 42.1

The result e.g. is that the installation invents a network configuration of it's own. Not something that I like by any means.

Did I miss something?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to switch off "Automatic Configuration" duriing installation?

I've used the DVD and know I've disabled auto configuration, you probably just missed it.
    IIRC it might have had the word "Advanced" in the option label. Can't remember for now whether it's to enable or disable but the result of course is to enable custom tweaking.

Reason is that I <never> use the auto config for any of my installs... Every install I do needs to be tweaked in some way.

TSU

After my first installation, on missing it, I did two more installation runs until the software choice. Could not find it. Maybe I need new glasses
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am missing one of the first screens that was presented in earlier installations. It was called "Installation mode" and offered a checkbox "Use Automatic Configuration" that could be switched off. I can not find it in Leap 42.1
    That's been gone for some time. It disappeared from Tumbleweed install image more than a year ago.

The result e.g. is that the installation invents a network configuration of it's own. Not something that I like by any means.
    If you want the network configuration screen, then unplug the ethernet cable before you boot the installer. Plug it back in as soon as you get to the network configuration screen.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That's been gone for some time. It disappeared from Tumbleweed install image more than a year ago.
    I realy do not care what they do in Tumbleweed. I hope that the above is only an observation and not a "you could know it".
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you want the network configuration screen, then unplug the ethernet cable before you boot the installer. Plug it back in as soon as you get to the network configuration screen.
    Strange, very strange. I thus first have to dismantle my hardware before I do an installation? Is this the same for other configurations that earlier were done "automagicaly" when you did not switch Automatic Configuration off? Anywhere a list of those I now have to check/change afterwards because they are "iinvented" by the installer? Hopefully together with a llist of what hardware to remove to get self-configuring back?

I do not hope that the next step is: Remove your mass-storage before installation else the installer wil force a partitioning upon you.

Is this anywhere (Bugzilla) reported as a regresion bug? Or is it a "feature"?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Is this anywhere (Bugzilla) reported as a regresion bug? Or is it a "feature"?
    I think it's a feature (or a misfeature).

Previously, part of the configuration was done after the first boot of the newly installed system. The "feature" is to combine all into a single step. All configuration is nown done before the first boot. But they did not provide a way of getting access to the network setup screen. That screen shows up if the attempt to setup network with DHCP fails. Otherwise you are not shown that screen.

And no, I don't like it either. I think there is a bug report somewhere, but I haven't been following that bug.

There is a section of the summary screen (during install) for hardware configuration. But that does not seem to include network setup. If I remember, I add "hostname=myhost.mydomain" to the kernel boot line. But I often forget to do that, so I have to change the hostname after the first boot.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

I have to change much, much more.

• switch DHCP usage off;
    • change IP address;
    • I guess netmask is OK, but I have to check;
    • default router could be OK, but I have to check;
    • change DNS configuration (nameserver and search);
    • change NTP server;
    • change hostname and domainname;
    • maybe more that I did not even think of.

And in the mean time, my system is runnning on the LAN with the wrong IP address, etc.

When not using Automatic, you were offered all those settings, thus it was difficult to forget setting one or more. Now I need a list of what to undo after the installation. And all those changes require in the end a reboot of course. So far for avoiding a second boot.

IMHO that switch can still be offerd in the beginning of the installation. When Automatic, it can resume as it is now, without reboot. And with Automatic switched off, a reboot may be needed. So what?

I have nothing against offering an "as good as is possible" Automatic to people who do not know the difference between a LAN and the Internet, but I think that system administrators must be able to configure their systems at installation to their whim/needs.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I've used the DVD and know I've disabled auto configuration, you probably just missed it.
    IIRC it might have had the word "Advanced" in the option label. Can't remember for now whether it's to enable or disable but the result of course is to enable custom tweaking.

Reason is that I <never> use the auto config for any of my installs... Every install I do needs to be tweaked in some way.

TSU
    Having read the answers of nrickert, which confirms that it is gone, can you please check how you used this feature while installing Leap 42.1, where at least two people here report it as missng?
    Henk van Velden

+1 => i would also like to switch off the <<Automatic Configuration >> during installation.

If the bug report exists, can anyone find it so we can add to it? Or, should we all start a bug report?

I, too, want the option to turn of auto configuration.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast