Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

Default How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

Hello, I need to start "redshift -l 55:12" when my computer starts. But in the Gnome Tweak Tool, under Startup Applications, I can only choose from what I assume is GUI applications. Furthermore I can't add any arguments/flags, which I need.

This is 2016 and Gnome is supposed to be a mature, user-friendly piece of software, or am I wrong? Don't tell me that I have to edit arcane script files, or install extra 3rd party software just to do this most basic of tasks. It surely must just be some option somewhere I have overlooked.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

Hi
    Yes, command line stuff only

If you fire up Nautilus, then press ctrl+h to expose the hidden directories, you need to browse into .config/autostart select your application desktop file with right-click -> properties. In there you can add you bits to the 'Command line'.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

My what...? Inside .config/autostart, I only have a xterm.desktop file.

Blog Entries

Hi
    What ever application you require to be autostarted, add via Tweak tool, then it will appear in the directory indicated, from there you can edit as required.

I'm a command line junkie, I would open a terminal, copy it from /usr/share/applications, then use vi to edit....

It's not in the tweak tool either... As I said, it's only got GUI programs, and redshift doesn't have a GUI.

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 19:36:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

> It's not in the tweak tool either... As I said, it's only got GUI
    > programs, and redshift doesn't have a GUI.

It does - I do exactly what you're looking to do.

Install redshift-gtk.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 19:36:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

> It's not in the tweak tool either... As I said, it's only got GUI
    > programs, and redshift doesn't have a GUI.

It does - I do exactly what you're looking to do.

Install redshift-gtk.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

What a crappy workaround. So I had to install redshift-gtk, a package I don't need, but is the only one I can add as an autostart application. I must then, despite my plea, edit an arcane and obscure configuration file to change the exec to redshift -l 55.7:12.5 (Just running redshift-gtk doesn't work since the geolocator feature is broken). I guess I can remove the redshift-gtk package now, but what the hell.

The next time I want to do a completely elementary task with my computer, why don't the Gnome developers just come over and break my index fingers instead. Would probably save us both some time and effort.

But thanks for your help, guys!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Langley View Post
    What a crappy workaround. So I had to install redshift-gtk, a package I don't need, but is the only one I can add as an autostart application. I must then, despite my plea, edit an arcane and obscure configuration file to change the exec to redshift -l 55.7:12.5 (Just running redshift-gtk doesn't work since the geolocator feature is broken). I guess I can remove the redshift-gtk package now, but what the hell.

The next time I want to do a completely elementary task with my computer, why don't the Gnome developers just come over and break my index fingers instead. Would probably save us both some time and effort.

But thanks for your help, guys!
    Hi
    Your welcome, but please if your wanting to use a package that is only packaged to be run from the command line, then that's as it's built, nothing to do with the DE in use....

FYI, I see that a) there is a systemd unit file option (but the maintainer doesn't know how it works [I would guess they need to provide it, I haven't looked at the source]), b) it uses geoclue2, not geoclue.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/v....spec?expand=1

I would suggest a visit to https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports and raise a bug against redshift for a missing desktop file, or perhaps a systemd unit file and the geoclue issue.

Note: Just looked at the source and there is a systemd unit, so that could be used system wide if packaged. The packager could also add a system config file so one could pop into YaST /etc/systemconfig editor and provide an end user options to fire it up, that would provide your command line only program with the desired GUI tools (which are not DE centric) to configure.

You're going on about a completely different topic, whether Redshift has a bug or is missing this or that is irrelevant, my despair is how Gnome is lacking the option to add your own startup commands, like you know, every single DE/operating system ever. Gnome itself included, in the past at least...! I assume they removed the option to make everything more simple and straight-forward, but they've gone too far. There's no excuse for removing this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast