Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 17:56:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

    > What a crappy workaround. So I had to install redshift-gtk, a package I
    > don't need, but is the only one I can add as an autostart application.


    It's probably not the only solution, but I find that I like having the
    icon in the bar at the bottom of the screen to enable/disable redshift.
    <shrug>.

    There's probably a way to do this (create a .desktop file with just the
    redshift executable and its command-line parameters, most likely).

    > I
    > must then, despite my plea, edit an arcane and obscure configuration
    > file to change the exec to redshift -l 55.7:12.5 (Just running
    > redshift-gtk doesn't work since the geolocator feature is broken).


    What I did when I set it up on my system was install gtk-redshift and
    then used the command-line parameters that I would have used on redshift.

    > I
    > guess I can remove the redshift-gtk package now, but what the hell.
    >
    > The next time I want to do a completely elementary task with my
    > computer, why don't the Gnome developers just come over and break my
    > index fingers instead. Would probably save us both some time and effort.


    The use of .desktop files isn't that unusual, IME - it's just a question
    of learning a particular desktop's way of doing things.

    Freedesktop.org provides a standardized way of doing this - which is the
    way GNOME uses:

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/aut...ec-latest.html

    That spec hopefully will help you understand the system.

    > But thanks for your help, guys!


    You bet - glad to be able to help you get to where you wanted to be.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 17:56:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

    > What a crappy workaround. So I had to install redshift-gtk, a package I
    > don't need, but is the only one I can add as an autostart application.


    It's probably not the only solution, but I find that I like having the
    icon in the bar at the bottom of the screen to enable/disable redshift.
    <shrug>.

    There's probably a way to do this (create a .desktop file with just the
    redshift executable and its command-line parameters, most likely).

    > I
    > must then, despite my plea, edit an arcane and obscure configuration
    > file to change the exec to redshift -l 55.7:12.5 (Just running
    > redshift-gtk doesn't work since the geolocator feature is broken).


    What I did when I set it up on my system was install gtk-redshift and
    then used the command-line parameters that I would have used on redshift.

    > I
    > guess I can remove the redshift-gtk package now, but what the hell.
    >
    > The next time I want to do a completely elementary task with my
    > computer, why don't the Gnome developers just come over and break my
    > index fingers instead. Would probably save us both some time and effort.


    The use of .desktop files isn't that unusual, IME - it's just a question
    of learning a particular desktop's way of doing things.

    Freedesktop.org provides a standardized way of doing this - which is the
    way GNOME uses:

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/aut...ec-latest.html

    That spec hopefully will help you understand the system.

    > But thanks for your help, guys!


    You bet - glad to be able to help you get to where you wanted to be.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu 07 Jan 2016 08:16:01 PM CST, Langley wrote:

    You're going on about a completely different topic, whether Redshift has
    a bug or is missing this or that is irrelevant, my despair is how Gnome
    is lacking the option to add your own startup commands, like you know,
    every single DE/operating system ever. Gnome itself included, in the
    past at least...! I assume they removed the option to make everything
    more simple and straight-forward, but they've gone too far. There's no
    excuse for removing this.


    Hi
    Alacarte is still there, I thought it had gone by the wayside.....



    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.2|3.12.51-60.20-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu 07 Jan 2016 08:16:01 PM CST, Langley wrote:

    You're going on about a completely different topic, whether Redshift has
    a bug or is missing this or that is irrelevant, my despair is how Gnome
    is lacking the option to add your own startup commands, like you know,
    every single DE/operating system ever. Gnome itself included, in the
    past at least...! I assume they removed the option to make everything
    more simple and straight-forward, but they've gone too far. There's no
    excuse for removing this.


    Hi
    Alacarte is still there, I thought it had gone by the wayside.....



    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.2|3.12.51-60.20-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #15

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    What does the technical details about .desktop files have to do with Gnome not providing (or rather, having removed) a GUI for adding commands to autostart? Consider if redshift-gtk didn't exist (or that I want to start a program that doesn't have a GUI child program), then what? And what is it with stubbornly defending even obvious bad designs and faults? "No no, it's not a problem that you can't do *standard feature*, just go to /etc/session/guesswhat/cryptic, edit line 743 in hex to include your zodiac sign written in pascal, mkbuild package this, this and that, and symlink it to your future place of residence. Nothing to complain about here." Gee thanks, I guess a GUI option really is unnecessary.

  6. #16

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Alacarte is still there, I thought it had gone by the wayside.....
    Where do I add autostart commands in alacarte?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu 07 Jan 2016 09:46:02 PM CST, Langley wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2747392 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Alacarte is still there, I thought it had gone by the wayside.....
    >


    Where do I add autostart commands in alacarte?


    Hi
    Unless you first add a desktop file (shortcut, text editor, alacarte)
    the desktop environment doesn't know anything about a command line
    application (again a packager choice, raise a bug). You can then start
    it and use the gnome tweak tool or nautilus to copy to the autostart
    directory.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.2|3.12.51-60.20-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu 07 Jan 2016 09:46:02 PM CST, Langley wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2747392 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Alacarte is still there, I thought it had gone by the wayside.....
    >


    Where do I add autostart commands in alacarte?


    Hi
    Unless you first add a desktop file (shortcut, text editor, alacarte)
    the desktop environment doesn't know anything about a command line
    application (again a packager choice, raise a bug). You can then start
    it and use the gnome tweak tool or nautilus to copy to the autostart
    directory.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.2|3.12.51-60.20-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 21:36:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

    > What does the technical details about .desktop files have to do with
    > Gnome not providing (or rather, having removed) a GUI for adding
    > commands to autostart? Consider if redshift-gtk didn't exist (or that I
    > want to start a program that doesn't have a GUI child program), then
    > what? And what is it with stubbornly defending even obvious bad designs
    > and faults? "No no, it's not a problem that you can't do *standard
    > feature*, just go to /etc/session/guesswhat/cryptic, edit line 743 in
    > hex to include your zodiac sign written in pascal, mkbuild package this,
    > this and that, and symlink it to your future place of residence. Nothing
    > to complain about here." Gee thanks, I guess a GUI option really is
    > unnecessary.


    I feel I should point out that I'm not a GNOME developer - I'm just a
    user like you - so yelling at me isn't going to ease your frustration.

    I'm just trying to provide you information so you can accomplish your
    goals.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: How to add custom startup applications in GNOME??

    On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 21:36:01 +0000, Langley wrote:

    > What does the technical details about .desktop files have to do with
    > Gnome not providing (or rather, having removed) a GUI for adding
    > commands to autostart? Consider if redshift-gtk didn't exist (or that I
    > want to start a program that doesn't have a GUI child program), then
    > what? And what is it with stubbornly defending even obvious bad designs
    > and faults? "No no, it's not a problem that you can't do *standard
    > feature*, just go to /etc/session/guesswhat/cryptic, edit line 743 in
    > hex to include your zodiac sign written in pascal, mkbuild package this,
    > this and that, and symlink it to your future place of residence. Nothing
    > to complain about here." Gee thanks, I guess a GUI option really is
    > unnecessary.


    I feel I should point out that I'm not a GNOME developer - I'm just a
    user like you - so yelling at me isn't going to ease your frustration.

    I'm just trying to provide you information so you can accomplish your
    goals.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •