Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to downgrade plasma?

Default How to downgrade plasma?

Hi all,

Just installed 42.1 (clean), and saw KDE Plasma 5 for the first time. It's pretty, but I really miss a certain feature (different widgets on different virtual desktops). According to the bug tracker, this is not a bug; the feture has been removed and will never be supported. Is there a good way to downgrade to Plasma 4, or would I be better off just starting over with 13.2?

Secondary question: For those familiar with other GUIs, is there one easy to set up as I had Plasma 4? Key elements:

-Clean, only slidewhow wallpaper visible until some action taken. When I have anything else visible, I spend my time trying to get rid of it instead of doing productive things.
    -Different widgets, mainly launchers, on each desktop, with different wallpaper themes on each desktop as a visual reminder of its function.
    -Widgets that should be accessible from each desktop collected in dashboard. Especially liked having a terminal window constantly open on the dash.

Thanks,

GEF

Default Re: How to downgrade plasma?

I see that in fact you are quitting Plasma5 for reasons like not being able to discern between different backgrounds. I will watching this thread with iinterest.
    Henk van Velden

I agree with gfagan :
    many features are missing on plasma 5, such as
    - the favorite launcher with a left click on the desktop,
    - the BII window decoration,
    - the bold for highlight characters in Misc Fixed font.
    - klipper doesn't display a long list of the last cut/copied text
    There are also some strange behaviors at the beginning with the network applet, which seems to be repaired.

And last but not least : the systray doesn't obey me when i want to force him to display the battery state, the network state or any other systray element. That's really messy.

I tried the other desktop environment such as lxde, enlightenment, gnome, and son.... But nothing better.

Is it possible to roll back to KDE4 easily ?

Will there be a less buggy plasma5 release, please ?

NB : this is not only a rant -> i need a working environment for a small company and also for my home.

If you use wolfi's repo you can install kde4 alongside with plasma5:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.1/

If you install plasma5-session from Wolfi's repo it will pull in the necessary rpm's.

I alternate between kde4 and plasma5 and have been using his repo system for about a year now and it provides a fanrastic resource.

Leap should have in large friendly letter on the splash

Don't panic!!

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I see that in fact you are quitting Plasma5 for reasons like not being able to discern between different backgrounds. I will watching this thread with iinterest.
    Me, too, because I am getting quite peeved at the KDE Devs -- who for at least a year, now -- are ignoring so many things that Users want.

I find the current regressions to be a deal breaker, in my case.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Leap should have in large friendly letter on the splash
    OK ... Just for a larf....

Download this image: http://paste.opensuse.org/301731dc and rename as logo.png

In "/usr/share/plymouth/themes/openSUSE/" rename the existing logo.png and then replace with the downloaded one.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20181203) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 42.3 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected just for fun]

yes you can replace plasma 5 with kde4 from the oss repo's
    you can do it in zypper or with yast, just install the base kde4 packages
    Code:
    zypper in kdebase4-session kdebase4-workspace kdebase4-workspace-addons kdebase4-workspace-ksysguardd kdebase4-runtime kdelibs4support kscreen kate4-parts konsole4-part kdm dolphin4
    you will get conflict warnings and you will be given an option to replace plasma5 with kde4, I'd suggest doing the switch from a different desktop environment (lxqt or xfce).
    as dth2 said you can have both kde4 and plasma 5, if you want to use wolfi's plasma 5 add these 3 repo's

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
    and do a zypper dup witth them (after you add the repo's post zypper lr -d and we'll help) so you replace the oss rpm's with wolfi's packages.

you should note that a few apps like ark have been ported to kf5 and their kde4 predecessors are gone and forgotten dolphin from kde4 is still here named dolphin4

Thanks for the info. Work got busy; I'll give your advice a shot on Sunday and let y'all know how it goes. I can be patient while features are developed, but what I see on the bug thread isn't "Not yet" but "Never" where widgets-by-desktop are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gfagan View Post
    Thanks for the info. Work got busy; I'll give your advice a shot on Sunday and let y'all know how it goes. I can be patient while features are developed, but what I see on the bug thread isn't "Not yet" but "Never" where widgets-by-desktop are concerned.
    Yes, my conclusion is also that we can forget Virtual desktops being supported by KDE.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast