Intermittent Boot Failure On 13.2 With Windows 10

I’m finding every now and then that I can’t get into the opensuse GUI, i.e. I get an emergency recovery command line prompt.

This is the feed from the suggested command, which outputs the systemlogs:

http://pastebin.com/S5XDYvh2
Some errors:

Jan 04 10:08:05 pegasus lvm[545]: WARNING: lvmetad is running but disabled. Restart lvmetad before enabling it!

Jan 04 10:08:06 pegasus mount[524]: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.

I have my Windows partition mounted in opensuse, and towards the end of the system log there are some complaints about the Windows partition having gone into hibernation and that therefore it could not be mounted.

This has happened a few times. I haven’t been able to do anything to fix the problem yet, but it seems to resolve itself of its’ own accord after booting into Windows a few times.

Should I remove the Windows partition from fstab or is there some other way to fix this?

Well, it says that you did not shutdown your Windows OS properly (thus leaving your file system in an unproper state). The first question is thus: did you shutdown your Windows system completly and correct?

The message is clear enough IMHO, but you do not address it at all. :question:

Yes I should have said, I always shut down Windows cleanly. If it hibernates I will always wake it up before shutting down, so I honestly don’t know what’s going on here.

On 2016-01-04, Wild Goose <Wild_Goose@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
> Yes I should have said, I -always- shut down Windows cleanly. If it
> hibernates I will always wake it up before shutting down, so I honestly
> don’t know what’s going on here.

Try booting into Windows. Then select Restart' rather than Shutdown’. Upon reboot, select openSUSE from GRUB2 to load:
do you still get an emergency prompt?

I think I read here on the forums that some newer version of Windows does in fact not shutdown, but sort of hybernate. I remember also that you could set something somewhere in Windows to configure that.

Sorry about my vagueness, but I know next to nothing about Windows and feel no urge to improve that.

HTH

You need to login to Windows, and turn off fast-boot. You can probably find tutorials on how to do that (use google or other search engine). I’ve avoided Windows 10, but I managed to find where to turn off fast-boot in Windows 8. It wasn’t obvious, but it wasn’t too hard to find.

With “fast-boot”, Windows hibernates leaving the file system in an unstable state.

From Windows, if you “restart” instead of “shutdown”, that is supposed to not do this hibernation thingy.

On Windows 8.1, I can right click at the bottom left corner of the screen and shutdown from there. It is supposed to not do the hibernation/fast-boot thingy if I shutdown that way, though I have never tested that (because I have fast-boot turned off anyway).

Thanks, I will try that.

I’ve just seen another error in the log relating to ACPI which may be relevant, I don’t know:

Jan 04 10:07:59 pegasus kernel: ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000400-0x000000000000047f (\PMIO) (20140424/utaddress-258)

Jan 04 10:07:59 pegasus kernel: ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver

On 2016-01-04, Wild Goose <Wild_Goose@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
> I’ve just seen another error in the log relating to ACPI which may be
> relevant, I don’t know:

Sorry, I can’t see how an ACPI Warning is pertinent to an lvmetad error. Did you try the Windows restart test I
suggested?

If Win 8 or higher you must turn off fast boot. it in essence is the same as hibernate

Well I just thought if there was an ACPI warning there might be a power management issue and that may affect hibernation issues, but that was just a stab in the dark.

I followed these instructions on disabling fast boot in Windows 10:

I then fully shut down Windows, started it, shut it down again, started it again, then restarted from Windows into opensuse with no problems, so hopefully that has sorted it. Thanks for all your help.

In my experience, “lvmetad” errors are a dime a dozen if you are using an LVM. I ignore them.