Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I getting dependency error?

Default Why am I getting dependency error?

The software updates widget in system panel is giving "Dependency resolution failed A package dependency could not be found. More information is available in the detailed report."

First, where is the referenced detailed report. Is it zypper.log?

I get the above update notification after installing some debuginfo packages. If I uninstall those packages I don't get this notification from the widget. Thus, the notification is clearly related to debuginfo files.

I installed the debuginfo in an attempt to create a report when kwin-x11 crashes. However, the report popup is not able to download the symbol info it is looking for and I am unable to locate a log that specifies why it fails. One possible reason is that I use flgrx and I am unable to find any debug info for that video driver.

In zypper.log I find several entries that may refer to this problem, this is a sample of one of those entries:

Code:
    [zypper:req] SolverRequester.cc(install):228 debuginfo(build-id)=3527ecec20ddfc2a7bd8156c24b9d498480fada8 cap:debuginfo(build-id) == 3527ecec20ddfc2a7bd8156c24b9d498480fada8 not found
    How can I find out what that hex string is referring to and how to proceed?

I also should mention that the kwin failures I have are all during use of libreoffice and if I log in using icewm I do not have any problems using libreoffice. I would prefer to work in KDE but I use libreoffice nearly every day an it is getting tedious to logout and switch DM's back and forth.

I would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed.

Default Re: Why am I getting dependency error?

What happens if you do the update via zypper up rather then use the widget? You should get more info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6520302 View Post
    The software updates widget in system panel is giving "Dependency resolution failed A package dependency could not be found. More information is available in the detailed report."

First, where is the referenced detailed report. Is it zypper.log?
    I've seen that, though for a different error. Since I knew what it was complaining about, I wasn't particularly concerned. However, I was unable to find the "detailed report". I eventually switched to doing updates with "zypper" and Yast. At least they do tell you what the problem is.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

OK, I'm not proficient in zypper. Would that be zypper up
    thanks

Blog Entries

OK, I'm not proficient in zypper. Would that be zypper up
    thanks
    Yes, run
    Code:
    zypper clean
    zypper up

Thank you. This resulted in "nothing to do". The same is true for zypper lu

However zypper lp and zypper pchk do result in matchs to the widget output in systray.

So to confirm,
    Code:
    zypper patch
    would be the correct command?

Blog Entries

Thank you. This resulted in "nothing to do". The same is true for zypper lu
    That would imply you are fully updated with repsect to configured repos.

However zypper lp and zypper pchk do result in matchs to the widget output in systray.

So to confirm,
    Code:
    zypper patch
    would be the correct command?
    That only will only apply needed (security?) patches from the update repo, but 'zypper up' will pull all available update packages - patches and otherwise.

From 'zypper --help'
    Code:
      Update Management:
            update, up              Update installed packages with newer versions.
            list-updates, lu        List available updates.
            patch                   Install needed patches.
            list-patches, lp        List needed patches.
            dist-upgrade, dup       Perform a distribution upgrade.
            patch-check, pchk       Check for patches.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 02-Jan-2016 at 22:52.

zypper up does not give me the expected results. This is what I'm trying to update:

Code:
     zypper lp
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Repository                      | Name              | Category    | Severity | Interactive | Status | Summary                                              
    --------------------------------+-------------------+-------------+----------+-------------+--------+------------------------------------------------------
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug | openSUSE-2015-803 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for the KDE Applications Framework
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Oss   | openSUSE-2015-803 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for the KDE Applications Framework
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug | openSUSE-2015-843 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for kde frameworks 5              
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Oss   | openSUSE-2015-843 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for kde frameworks 5              
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug | openSUSE-2015-861 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for libX11, libxcb                
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Oss   | openSUSE-2015-861 | recommended | moderate | ---         | needed | Recommended update for libX11, libxcb                
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug | openSUSE-2015-953 | security    | moderate | ---         | needed | Security update for Qt 5                             
    openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Oss   | openSUSE-2015-953 | security    | moderate | ---         | needed | Security update for Qt 5
    The above matches the systray widget and what I am trying to update.

Below is the results of your suggestion.

Code:
    ~> sudo zypper clean
    root's password:
    All repositories have been cleaned up.
    ~> sudo zypper up

The following item is locked and will not be changed by any action:
     Available:
      google-roboto-fonts

The following 9 package updates will NOT be installed:
      libavcodec56 libavdevice56 libavfilter5 libavformat56 libavresample2 libavutil54 libpostproc53 libswresample1 libswscale3

Nothing to do.
    The 9 packages listed above are, I presume, from packman which is a repo that is not currently enabled and for which I currently have no desire to update. And maybe this is why there is an error. I find it odd that 'check patch' gives an output but 'up' gives an entirely different output.

So I'm wondering about zypper patch. I don't want to make the wrong move with an app that I'm not proficient with and the results so far show why I am so hesitant to move unassisted.

Blog Entries

They're already installed though.

To check needed patches not already installed run 'zypper pchk'. For example, I get
    Code:
    # zypper pchk
    0 patches needed (0 security patches)
    ie currently up to date.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 02-Jan-2016 at 23:21.

The result:
    Code:
    ~> zypper pchk
    8 patches needed (2 security patches)
    This output matches what I am expecting.

so should I go ahead with 'zypper patch'? I believe this would be the correct step....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast