Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GNOME and Yast

Default GNOME and Yast

Tonight I decided to upgrade to Open SUSE Tumbleweed. After reinstalling 3 times until I figured out I needed a separate boot partition for Grub 2 to work. I love GNOME, so switching to KDE is not an option. Plain GNOME will not work at all. It would be nice if I could get this working. I don't really know what GNOME with Wayland is, but it works. The only problem I have with it is that Yast will not work at all. I get the prompt for a password, I enter mine(correctly) and nothing happens. I can't use anything from yast. This is a big problem for me because the main reason I use Open SUSE is for yast. Any ideas as to why plain GNOME doesn't work and yast doesn't work? I cannot test to see of Yast works in plain gnome.

Default Re: GNOME and Yast

I have grub installed in the root partition, I think you're mixing efi with grub is that a newer or an older pc, are you installing in legacy mbr mode or in uefi mode?
    for yast you need root's password not yours (unless you checked the box use my password for root)
    does su - work with your password?
    if not you can change roots password
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Recover_root_password

I really don't use gnome but Wayland is a display server a replacement for X as far as I know openSUSE still uses X but Wayland is available in the oss repo and gnome runs well under both X and Wayland.

I have an older pc, it is a hp compaq 6710b, but runs great. The boot loader is not a problem, it works fine. Root's password is mine, su works with my password. I need Yast to work

UPDATE: just found out install/remove software doesn't even work, so I can't even install software. I just tested and found that yast works in ice wm, yes, my password works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arodd2000 View Post
    Tonight I decided to upgrade to Open SUSE Tumbleweed. After reinstalling 3 times until I figured out I needed a separate boot partition for Grub 2 to work. I love GNOME, so switching to KDE is not an option. Plain GNOME will not work at all. It would be nice if I could get this working. I don't really know what GNOME with Wayland is, but it works. The only problem I have with it is that Yast will not work at all. I get the prompt for a password, I enter mine(correctly) and nothing happens. I can't use anything from yast. This is a big problem for me because the main reason I use Open SUSE is for yast. Any ideas as to why plain GNOME doesn't work and yast doesn't work? I cannot test to see of Yast works in plain gnome.
    Hi
    Gnome on wayland may still be a bit flaky... log out to GDM, then enter your name and in the selections select gnome-shell and then enter your password, all should be good.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Like I said, GNOME doesn't work. All I get is a grey screen and a glitchy mouse.

I don't know if this matters but when I open yast or when software install opens and asks for a password, the little description in the upper left corner next to activities says gnomesu.

Blog Entries

I have an older pc, it is a hp compaq 6710b, but runs great. The boot loader is not a problem, it works fine. Root's password is mine, su works with my password. I need Yast to work
    This reads like the upgrade to TW did not go so well. What were you using on this machine before TW?

How did you upgrade?
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tum...d_installation

Maybe you should share your configured repos.
    Code:
    zypper lr -d

Jon_Freeman NNTP User

Have you tried running Yast in text (ncurses?) mode? Open a terminal and as root, run yast. (to start in graphic mode,it is yast2).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast