Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox freezes on AccuWeather extended forecast webpage

Default Firefox freezes on AccuWeather extended forecast webpage

I am using openSUSE 13.2 on a 32-bit Lenovo PC (which also has Windows XP installed).

Recently I've had problems with Firefox freezing (requiring me to forcibly terminate it), and pinpointed it to the AccuWeather extended forecast webpage. Firefox works fine with every other webpage I've browsed, including on AccuWeather.com. The extended forecast page loads fine in Firefox on Fedora 22, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1, but not in openSUSE 13.2.

I've tried everything I could think of to find the cause of this problem. I restarted Firefox in safe mode, but the problem still exists. I reinstalled openSUSE completely, after which the problem was fixed until I installed the ~400 updates recommended by the software applet. Now the problem is back again.

I checked the Web Console and didn't see any unusual error messages. When the Developer Tools pane is open though, the problem seemed to disappear. However, when I scrolled down, then Firefox froze, so it seems like the source of the problem is an element that's about halfway down the page.

I don't know if this is a problem with Firefox or openSUSE, but I would guess the latter since the page loads fine in Fedora. This seems like very strange behavior to me. Are there any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Default Re: Firefox freezes on AccuWeather extended forecast webpage

Do you maybe have an nvidia card and are using the noveou driver under plasma5?
    I had freezes with Firefox running on plasma5 under LEAP my solution was installing nvidia's propitiatory driver
    or maybe you forgot to add the packman repo as Firefox needs packman's build of gstreamer for mp4 support.

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    Do you maybe have an nvidia card and are using the noveou driver under plasma5?
    I had freezes with Firefox running on plasma5 under LEAP my solution was installing nvidia's propitiatory driver
    or maybe you forgot to add the packman repo as Firefox needs packman's build of gstreamer for mp4 support.
    Thanks, I saw a thread mentioning that, but my PC has an Intel graphics card and is using KDE4.

When I load a page containing an MP4 video (like this one), the video is replaced with a gray box saying "No video with supported format and MIME type found", but it doesn't make Firefox freeze so it doesn't seem like that's causing the problem.

How much memory do you have Firefox has become a true memory hog

in a console run top to monitor usage or press ctrl-esc

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    How much memory do you have Firefox has become a true memory hog

in a console run top to monitor usage or press ctrl-esc
    My PC has 1GB of memory, and Firefox was only using around 160MB when it was hanging. I took a screenshot of the Task Manager but it doesn't seem like I'm able to attach a screenshot, so I uploaded it to Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJ...ew?usp=sharing

try chromium just to make sure it's a Firefox issue and not something hardware or OS related

try chromium just to make sure it's a Firefox issue and not something hardware or OS related
    OK I did and the page loaded fine in Chromium. Does this mean it's a Firefox issue I should report to Mozilla?

Quote Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
    OK I did and the page loaded fine in Chromium. Does this mean it's a Firefox issue I should report to Mozilla?
    maybe, I use Firefox and I don't have that issue, it could be an addon, try running Firefox in safe mode, if it does the same by all means report it, all hardware is not the same.

maybe, I use Firefox and I don't have that issue, it could be an addon, try running Firefox in safe mode, if it does the same by all means report it, all hardware is not the same.
    The problem also exists in safe mode, so I plan to report it to Mozilla. In the meantime, I figured out that the ESR version of Firefox does not have this issue, so I will use it for now.

Thanks for helping me identify Firefox as the cause of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
    The problem also exists in safe mode, so I plan to report it to Mozilla. In the meantime, I figured out that the ESR version of Firefox does not have this issue, so I will use it for now.

Thanks for helping me identify Firefox as the cause of the problem.
    But if it's working with FF on other OS'es then it might also not be a problem with FF
    Are you using the exact same version on FF on other OS'es ?
    Best regards,
    Greg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast