Thread: Is Sync thing secure?

Default Is Sync thing secure?

Hey there,

I've been using Sync thing to turn my old desktop into a cloud for my current desktop and small netbook, but I wanted to know if it safe. The program is an Open Source Continuous File Synchronization thingy, pretty much like bittorrent sync, but open source. I want to use this to store my files on my desktop instead of relying on cloud servers like dropbox, google drive, etc

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing

Default Re: Is Sync thing secure?

Safe in what sense?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Safe in what sense?
    Safe in the sense that no one is gonna snoop on the files i send from one pc to another

Does it use SSL?

If it does it is reasonably secure assuming no man in the middle attacks

if not then the packets are world readable

Should be a spec some place

But you can also just use rsync and first make a SSL or VPN tunnel. I suppose you could do the same with this syncthing program

Quote Originally Posted by pdvrosado View Post
    Safe in the sense that no one is gonna snoop on the files i send from one pc to another
    Not to sound insulting but why not store your stuff on an external HDD keep it under lock & key. Bring it out to update it on a regular basis, after update back to lock & key. Then when you want/need to load another PC get out your HDD & transfer it directly your other PC through the cables, with you there throughout the download. Doing it in this way you can be personally sure that no one has snooped on you.
    Now as I said this is not to insult you as this is what I do along with turning off the PC when I'm not around.
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sagemta View Post
    Not to sound insulting but why not store your stuff on an external HDD keep it under lock & key. Bring it out to update it on a regular basis, after update back to lock & key. Then when you want/need to load another PC get out your HDD & transfer it directly your other PC through the cables, with you there throughout the download. Doing it in this way you can be personally sure that no one has snooped on you.
    Now as I said this is not to insult you as this is what I do along with turning off the PC when I'm not around.
    I do have an external drive, but it has 3 years on it, and I don't want to rely on it much, since I'm afraid the disk breaks at any time now. I don't use it that much, just for photos and music (70gb total)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Does it use SSL?

If it does it is reasonably secure assuming no man in the middle attacks

if not then the packets are world readable

Should be a spec some place

But you can also just use rsync and first make a SSL or VPN tunnel. I suppose you could do the same with this syncthing program
    I've seen rsync on the software manager but never heard of it. gonna take a look at it

rsync is a command line sync utiltity

man rsync

for details

Hi pdvrosado,
    in addition to the 'rsync' man page I strongly recommend reading the Samba 'rsync' documentation, tutorials, resources and FAQs available from the following URL:
    <https://rsync.samba.org/>
    There is a detailed HOWTO on 'rsync' and 'stunnel' on the documentation page.

An example script which I use to archive KDE4 Plasma home directories on a private LAN drive mounted via NFS is as follows:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

netnode=$(hostname)
    user=$(whoami)

rsync -C8rlptoDhW --exclude=akonadi/*** --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.local/share/ /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/localShare
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --exclude=nepomuk/*** --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.kde4/share/apps/ /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/kde4ShareApps
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --exclude=.* --exclude=.*/*** --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/ /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home

rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.bashrc /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.profile /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.signature /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.vimrc /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.emacs /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home

rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.config/ /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home
    rsync -C8rlptoDhW --progress --stats --inplace /home/Users/$user/.kde4/share/apps/korganizer/ /mnt/MyBookWorld/$user/$netnode/home

exit 0

# End of Archiv_Home_MyBookWorld
    Have Fun!

Syncthing uses strong crypto certificates to authenticate individual nodes (machines) and all communication between those nodes is secured using TLS. No data is ever stored on third party machines.

So yes, its quite secure.