Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

Default AW: Re: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

Quote Originally Posted by Brunolab View Post
    Unfortunately suse-prime seems not to work with Leap42.2 under KDE.
    I tried, but get errors like
    Code:
    Qt bearer thread [18243] : segfault at 9 ip ....... error 4 in libQt5DBus.so.5.6.1
    Gnome desktop would be an alternative, but I am back to bumblebee at the moment.
    I'm still on bumblebee but actually I have to use suse-prime due to missing Vulkan support of primusrun.
    I hope that the issue will be fixed soon.

Default Re: AW: Re: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

Quote Originally Posted by hw1380 View Post
    I'm still on bumblebee but actually I have to use suse-prime due to missing Vulkan support of primusrun.
    I hope that the issue will be fixed soon.
    It is unfortunate. For the time I was using KDE, I enjoyed it, and so did the rest of the family. It is a pity that only Ubuntu based distro's have the luck to have an out of the box nvidia installation WITH optimus support.

This weekend I tried to install KDE and suse-prime on a separate partition, using an Arch forum, but didn't make any progress.

Greetings,

Martin.

Default AW: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

After hours of testing, I think that I found a solution but I'm not 100% sure if it is really working for all of you.
    Therefore I would like asking you if you can confirm if this is a valid approach.

I changed the following two files:

Code:
    user@linux:~> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-nvidia.conf
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout"
        Screen 0 "nvidia"
        Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "intel"
        Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "intel"
        Device "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Device "nvidia"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
        Option "UseDisplayDevice" "None"
    EndSection
    Code:
    user@linux:~> cat /etc/prime/prime-offload.sh
    cat prime-offload.sh
    #!/bin/sh

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
    xrandr --auto
    In order to make the change in 90-nvidia.conf persistent, the file /etc/prime/xorg.conf has to be modified accordingly.

Unfortunately I do not know exactly what that "modesetting" is about. So, I cannot estimate if there are any impacts or side-effects.

Default Re: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

Unfortunately I do not know exactly what that "modesetting" is about. So, I cannot estimate if there are any impacts or side-effects.
    "modesetting" is a generic video driver that still makes use of KMS and Mesa, i.e. you are just not using intel's 2D acceleration (which is known to have problems, on some chips at least) but OpenGL will still be hardware accelerated.

Even 2D acceleration is actually still available, it uses glamor (i.e. Mesa/OpenGL) for that.

Actually some people do recommend dropping intel (and also nouveau or radeon) in favor of modesetting already, and it has been decided to do so in Tumbleweed recently, for newer chipsets at least:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00164.html

Using it should not have drawbacks AFAIK.

Btw, if using modesetting really fixes the problem, I'm wondering if not just switching the intel driver to use to the older UXA acceleration might have helped too?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Switch_x...o-intel_to_UXA

Default Re: AW: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

After hours of testing, I think that I found a solution but I'm not 100% sure if it is really working for all of you.
    Sorry, didn't work here on Leap 42.2 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M, so it seems just another HW-dependent workaround.
    With the modesetting driver, the system didn't even reach the desktop when Nvidia was selected; at least the standard setting allows working with Nvidia, with the limitations outlined in post #37.
    Everything fine with modesetting when Intel is selected though.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Default Re: AW: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

Therefore I would like asking you if you can confirm if this is a valid approach.
    Hi hw1380
    This works partly on my KDE partition. I still get the KMS-greeter crash, but after a reboot I can login again and use Nvidia! Normally I would end up with a black screen. So this is a step forward! My laptop is always plugged in so this is a workable situation for me.
    Using prime-select intel is not working. So I can't switch from intel to nvidia and back.

On Gnome DE these changes are a no-go. The current Suse-prime is working for me on Gnome DE.

Default Re: Leap 42.1 Optimus system with nvidia-prime instead of bumblebee

With 375 Nvidia drivers, dual screen option is not working/ you get black screen. Is there option to downgrade nvidia drivers to 367.57 version?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345