Thread: Can't get mate-menu to appear

Default Can't get mate-menu to appear

Hi there,

Anybody here using openSUSE Leap with Mate 1.10 and the mate-menu (the fancy menu with the search feature, forked from Linux Mint's Mint Menu)? I've tried everything and for the life of me I can't get it to work. When I add it to the Mate panel, only a single pixel dot appears on the panel, and it's not clickable. When I run it from a terminal, it only throws a non-fatal error. I tried changing the mate-menu text and icon in dconf, but it doesn't help. I also filed a bug report, but no reply for over a week.

Since I'm running a fairly minimal system with hand-chosen package selection, I suspect that I'm missing a package that is not listed as a requirement for mate-menu that actually should be a hard requirement. I'm pretty sure mate-menu should be working for openSUSE Leap, because the new openSUSE L-i-f-e 42.1 release has screenshots of it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Can't get mate-menu to appear

I haven't used mate since 13.2 but do you have
    https://software.opensuse.org/packag...nding-openSUSE
    and
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/mate-menu
    installed, the meta package might be missing something go in yast and search for uninstalled mate packages

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sb56637 View Post
    I'm pretty sure mate-menu should be working for openSUSE Leap, because the new openSUSE L-i-f-e 42.1 release has screenshots of it.
    I installed Li-f-e 42.1 for testing. And, indeed, the Mate menu is working there.

You might search for "mate" in Yast software management, and install anything that looks relevant. There's a lot installed in Li-f-e 42.1 that is found by such a search, but is not in the standard MATE pattern.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks to both of you for your time and replies!

Yes, I do have mate-menu (and mate-menus) installed, and I tried both mate-menus-branding-openSUSE and mate-menus-branding-upstream. I'll guess I'll have to try nrickert's suggestion of trying uninstalled packages that appear to have some relevance.

Sorry for the late answer. I'm the Mate maintainer. Can you point me to your opened bug report please ?

Regards.
    Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by posophe View Post
    Sorry for the late answer. I'm the Mate maintainer. Can you point me to your opened bug report please ?

Regards.
    Benjamin
    Hi Benjamin, thanks a lot for taking a look at this! Here's the bug report, but it doesn't give any additional information:
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=959024