Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    243

    Default How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    * there are NO entries under ~/.config/autostart or autostart-scripts
    * I have remvoed file /usr/share/applications/viber.desktop


    and yet STILL the application loads on boot???


    anybody got a clue as to HOW it does it .... and where i might stop this from happening??

    Thanks

    42.1
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,393
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    A good idea to tell us which application. You could always list the files contained in the application's RPM for a hint.

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/aut...5/ar01s02.html

    Autostart Directories

    The Autostart Directories are $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/autostart as defined in accordance with the "Referencing this specification" section in the "desktop base directory specification".
    If the same filename is located under multiple Autostart Directories only the file under the most important directory should be used.
    Example: If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set the Autostart Directory in the user's home directory is ~/.config/autostart/

    Example: If $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is not set the system wide Autostart Directory is /etc/xdg/autostart/

    Example: If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS are not set and the two files /etc/xdg/autostart/foo.desktop and ~/.config/autostart/foo.desktop exist then only the file ~/.config/autostart/foo.desktop will be used because ~/.config/autostart/ is more important than /etc/xdg/autostart/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,864
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Hi
    Maybe it has a systemd service?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    So, first the obvious questions: Do you have the system set to restore previous session? And, do you have the program running when you shut down?

    If the answer is yes to both of those, then that is why.

    I mention this because there are a few people in here recently who had the same problem and that was the answer.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,393
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    So, first the obvious questions: Do you have the system set to restore previous session? And, do you have the program running when you shut down?

    If the answer is yes to both of those, then that is why.

    I mention this because there are a few people in here recently who had the same problem and that was the answer.
    Yes, that could well be the case too. It would be helpful if the OP provided more information so that we're not left to guess.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    So, first the obvious questions: Do you have the system set to restore previous session? And, do you have the program running when you shut down?

    If the answer is yes to both of those, then that is why.

    I mention this because there are a few people in here recently who had the same problem and that was the answer.
    Yes ... sorry for lack of info. App is Viber and yes had already read the info Autostart Directories

    Viber itself has an option in its interface to 'Start Viber on System startup' ... which i turned off .. but still it loaded! After reading your post FB i looked in memory and saw that it was still loaded even though i had closed it via its GUI .... so u are right .. i was still loaded every time i rebooted .. and so i must have 'restore previous session' activated?? ... but i don't know where or how to get to that setting.

    I killed it when in memory and rebooted and this time it did not show up, but most interested to learn where to adjust 'restore previous session'

    Thanks to all who contributed.

    OpenSuse 42.1 KDE
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    Yes ... sorry for lack of info. App is Viber and yes had already read the info Autostart Directories

    Viber itself has an option in its interface to 'Start Viber on System startup' ... which i turned off .. but still it loaded! After reading your post FB i looked in memory and saw that it was still loaded even though i had closed it via its GUI .... so u are right .. i was still loaded every time i rebooted .. and so i must have 'restore previous session' activated?? ... but i don't know where or how to get to that setting.

    I killed it when in memory and rebooted and this time it did not show up, but most interested to learn where to adjust 'restore previous session'

    Thanks to all who contributed.

    OpenSuse 42.1 KDE
    Configure Desktop=>Startup and Shutdown=>Session Management
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Configure Desktop=>Startup and Shutdown=>Session Management

    Thanks FB ... on my system it is actually ..... [System Settings => Startup and Shutdown => Desktop Session => On Login] .... and interestingly there is an option in which i can simply exclude Viber (or any other app) from the Session Restore ... which i have done! .. Most elegant!

    Thank you.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: How to prevent an application from Auto Starting?

    Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    Thanks FB ... on my system it is actually ..... [System Settings => Startup and Shutdown => Desktop Session => On Login] .... and interestingly there is an option in which i can simply exclude Viber (or any other app) from the Session Restore ... which i have done! .. Most elegant!

    Thank you.
    ... oh, right. It is slightly different in Leap. I still have not tested any Leap installs, and my machines are still all running 13.1.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •