Acer Aspire E11 Touchpad erratic

Hi, I had problems with my touchpad/clickpad back in 13.2 and updated to kernel 4.2.?.? in the kernel/stable/standard repo
It fixed it like magic.
I installed leap 42.1 and now the touchpad works until it just goes erratic, clicking all over the place and moving the cursor all around.
I installed the latest kernel from /kernel/stable/standard to see if that would help (ver 4.3.?.?). It doesn’t. I also updated from my fresh install. That didn’t help either.
I tried disabling tapping in gsynaptics, but that doesn’t help.
Don’t know what else to do.

Oh and the touchpad resets itself if I turn the touchpad off (Fn+F7) and back on. So at least it there is a shutoff to its erratic behavior.

I have an Acer Aspire E3-111-P60S
Leap 42.1 64-bit
running kde plasma 5

A quick search of ‘Acer E11 touchpad’ throws up numerous reported issues affecting both Windows and Linux it appears.

For example:

http://blog.mdda.net/oss/2014/11/16/acer-e11-es1-111-c3nt-linux/

Touchpad issues

•  If the touchpad has ‘gone away’ again : Try the Fn-F7 is ‘touchpad on/off’ key

•  Sometimes the touchpad goes ‘berzerk’, this can sometimes be cured (best method so far) by doing Fn-F7 twice.

• If anyone has any clues about how to fix this properly, then please leave a comment below
    Potentially check out : * (http://chakraos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=83718) * (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=184092&p=956784)
    NOTES:
    From the discussion below, it seems that the ‘berzerk’ thing may well not be Linux-related at all. There are quite a few complaints from Windows users too in the Acer forums, with many returning their laptops to Acer for a hardware fix. I didn’t notice this initially, since my web searches were always “Linux Acer touchpad …”, which effectively filtered out the overarching hardware aspect.

Actually, I’ve just (2015-05-31) dismantled, fiddled around and reassembled the machine, and will post shortly about the results - once they’re more conclusive (I only know that the machine still works at this point, and need longer to watch for the intermittent ‘berzerk’ behaviour).

More describing similar behaviour:

Is the the device handled by synaptics driver? How is the device reported?

grep -B 5 mouse /proc/bus/input/devices
xinput list

It may be possible to tune the input device so that it is not so sensitive perhaps.

BTW, if you think this is really a kernel-related regression, then your only realistic option to resolving this may be to submit a bug report. (However, from what I’ve read it is the touchpad hardware itself that is problematic).

Perhaps the boot log will tell something interesting (filtered for i8042 or i2c messages)

journalctl -b |egrep "i8|i2c"

journalctl -b | egrep "i8|i2c"
nothing

xinput list
SYN1B7D:01 06CB:2991 UNKNOWN      id=12   [slave,pointer  (2)]

Bus=0018 Vendor=06cb Product=2991 Version=0100
Name="SYN1B7D:01 06CB:2991 UNKNOWN"
Phys=
Sysfs=/devices/platform/80860F41:00/i2c-8/i2c-SYN1B7D:01/0018:06CB:2991.0002/input/input8
Uniq=
Handlers=mouse1 event8

I have a hard time believing it is the hardware, when it was working flawlessly before for a good 2 months. Update and then it’s not good ?? does that make sense?
I was aware of the problems with touchpads with Acer E11 from the last time I searched for a solution. There are many models of the E11 and I don’t believe they are all the same.

I am not even convinced it is a kernel issue and not an opensuse issue. I’ll have to test it of course.

The input device is not known… definitely not treated as a synaptics device anyway, but since you report that it is working, we know that the basic pointing capabilities are working to some extent at least

xinput list
SYN1B7D:01 06CB:2991 UNKNOWN      id=12   [slave,pointer  (2)]

Bus=0018 Vendor=06cb Product=2991 Version=0100
Name="SYN1B7D:01 06CB:2991 UNKNOWN"
Phys=
Sysfs=/devices/platform/80860F41:00/i2c-8/i2c-SYN1B7D:01/0018:06CB:2991.0002/input/input8
Uniq=
Handlers=mouse1 event8

These commands should be run against a known working Linux install for comparison. It could be related to the Xorg build used in Leap that is at play here.

Even with a touchpad not supported by the synaptics driver, but instead as a generic mouse, I would expect something like the following reported

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0006 Version=0000
N: Name="ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input2
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 

I am not even convinced it is a kernel issue and not an opensuse issue. I’ll have to test it of course

Yes, further testing is a good idea - perhaps with some live distros on USB memory sticks. The synaptics driver is part of the X-server, so maybe there is an issue there perhaps?

FWIW, similar behaviour reported here

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=185329

and the apparent ‘solution’ involved blacklisting the ‘i2c_hid’ kernel driver. It’s not clear to me why doing that helped, and there is no guarantee that this would resolve your touchpad problem, but I thought it was worth sharing here anyway.

I updated xf86-input-synaptics to 1.8.3 in the X11: XORG repo and not having problems. Don’t know if it just needed to be reinstalled for some reason, or if something is different between the two versions. I’ve clicked, tapped, double tapped, scrolled, “middle” clicked. Everything seems to be working. It really acted up when I would click or tap, and so far I’ve done that plenty of times with no problem. Crossing my fingers that this is the fix.

oh and some packages need a vendor change when updating to 1.8.3

fyi blacklisting i2c makes the touchpad not work at all.

Side note: to emulate the middle click on the clickpad I had to use hard numbers for SoftButtonAreas instead of percentages. Easy enough to figure out. Take the right edge minus the left edge. Multiply this by the percentages wanted for left and right. Take the Bottom edge minus Top. Multiply this by the percentages wanted for top and bottom

Thanks for your help deano_ferrari

I’m glad this worked for you. It should now be reported correctly as well with

xinput list

fyi blacklisting i2c makes the touchpad not work at all.

No, I thought that this could well be the case. The I2C bus is commonly used for communication with these devices (with a variety of kernel drivers).

Side note: to emulate the middle click on the clickpad I had to use hard numbers for SoftButtonAreas instead of percentages. Easy enough to figure out. Take the right edge minus the left edge. Multiply this by the percentages wanted for left and right. Take the Bottom edge minus Top. Multiply this by the percentages wanted for top and bottom

Thanks for your help deano_ferrari

It’s good to know that upgrading the synaptics package (along with any dependencies) has helped here.