Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote administration (VNC) - cannot activate - Plasma crash

Default Remote administration (VNC) - cannot activate - Plasma crash

Hello, Im trying to activate Remote administration in 42.1 but when I click "Allow remote administration" in settings - progress bar appear than got somewhere about 66% and than "crash" - crash mean that Plasma 5 turn off and only terminal appear with prompt to login:

Is here somebody with same issue or can you help me somehow? I dont know which way to investigate...

Thanx

Blog Entries

Default Re: Remote administration (VNC) - cannot activate - Plasma crash

You're describing something that might be Desktop specific.

You should describe which Desktop you're using and exactly what you clicked on to select "Remote Administration."

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    You should describe which Desktop you're using
    He did, Plasma 5...

and exactly what you clicked on to select "Remote Administration."
    I suppose the corresponding module in YaST.

Is there a proprietary graphics driver involved? (nvidia, fglrx)
    Plasma5 won't work then, as those drivers break Mesa and its software OpenGL renderer, and hardware acceleration won't work via VNC...

Also, make sure that the same user is not already logged in locally.
    You cannot run Plasma twice for the same user at the same time. That was a "problem" in KDE4 already.

I'm having exactly the same issue (well not only plasma, but whole X server crashes at "restarting service" step). I'm using integrated Intel gpu HD4000. After crash and reboot VNC is activated according to YaST, but when I'm trying to connect to it I'm getting just black screen. nmap shows open vnc ports though. If i remember well, on Factory it was caused by some specific tigerVNC version, but it never happened to me before with tigerVNC installed from DVD

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Is there a proprietary graphics driver involved? (nvidia, fglrx)
    Plasma5 won't work then, as those drivers break Mesa and its software OpenGL renderer, and hardware acceleration won't work via VNC...
    Is installation of openSUSE 13.2 the only way to get VNC working with Nvidia and KDE/Plasma? Leap 42.1 open source Nvidia drivers do not work at all (total hang in about two minutes, known problem) and if VNC does not work any more with closed source Nvidia drivers -> no hope?

I had no problem with VNC and closed source Nvidia drivers in openSUSE 13.1 but with Leap 42.1 it does not work any more...

Talking Re: Remote administration (VNC) - cannot activate - Plasma crash

Quote Originally Posted by lasse View Post
    I had no problem with VNC and closed source Nvidia drivers in openSUSE 13.1 but with Leap 42.1 it does not work any more...
    That is why the new version is called Leap 42.1 and not opensuse 13.3.

The jump forward was so big that it went over useful things and ended in swamp. Now the plasmoids have to crawl out of the dirtoids and frogoids.

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    That is why the new version is called Leap 42.1 and not opensuse 13.3.

The jump forward was so big that it went over useful things and ended in swamp. Now the plasmoids have to crawl out of the dirtoids and frogoids.
    Ha ha and too bad! I installed openSUSE 13.2 and now all my problems are solved. Support for openSUSE 13.2 should continue at least one year. Maybe then it is time for Leap.

Quote Originally Posted by lasse View Post
    Ha ha and too bad! I installed openSUSE 13.2 and now all my problems are solved. Support for openSUSE 13.2 should continue at least one year. Maybe then it is time for Leap.
    13.1 is the Evergreen version with extended support.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

need to report on bugzill or maybe it is not fixed on next release

Ok so I needed something more up to date than OpenSUSE 13.2, Factory is also bugged as hell especially when you try to update packages, so decided to try to set it up on Arch. And actually I did not manage to make it work on Arch with similar result to one on Leap. But I think I might found out why it crashes on Leap.

So I've read through how to actually create setup like one made by YaST manually and it's done via xinetd with some rules. IBM website mentions that it also requires XDMCP support to be enabled in login manager in order to work BUT... Actually when I googled how to enable XDMCP support in SDDM (which is default KDE5 login manager) and it seems that SDDM does NOT support XDMCP, not yet, and in fact it may even never implement it as it's "meant to" work with waland. So I think it may be not possible at all to make it work the "old way" with SDDM and KDE5. I haven't tried with GDM or some other display manager but I guess it's worth trying. Right now I'm installing Factory 13.2 it should work for at least half a year till I'll have some time to deal with this problem for a while.

If someone would try with other manager I'd be graceful for info if it works so I could move back to Leap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast