Thread: Getting Scanning to Work with HP MFP

Default Getting Scanning to Work with HP MFP

I am running 13.2 64 bit. I have HPLIP installed and the MFP printer, an HP Color Laserjet 2840, which is supposed to be supported for scanning, connected on the lan. It prints without difficulty but I cannot get any joy when I try and scan using Skanlite, the default app for scanning apparently. When I run Skanlite I get a message "Sorry. No devices found." and that I should check my system scanner setup. How and where do I do this please?
    Budgie2

Default Re: Getting Scanning to Work with HP MFP

Just a suggestion. I would alwyas try YaST for system management. Then Hardware and then Scanner look the obvious way to go. But this is 13.1, thus just my 2 cents.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

The HPLIP suite should be able to provide the necessary support for both printing and scanning. Did you use the 'hp-setup' utility to configure?

For network scanning (using the 'hpaio' backend), it is important to note that the correct CUPS URI must be configured correctly first (ie using the 'hp' backend) as described in the following links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hp...shoot_scanning
    http://hplipopensource.com/node/211

Then you should be good to go.

Some other useful references...
    http://hplipopensource.com/node/333
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ages/scan.html

Blog Entries

Just to clarify the pertinent points a little further (courtesy of the Ubuntu troubleshooting guide)
    Troubleshoot scanning

If your all-in-one printer is on a network and you use the Gnome Printers window to add the printer as an HP Jet-Direct printer, then you will not be able to scan. To solve this problem, you must first determine the URI of the printer by executing inside a terminal window:
    Code:
    hp-makeuri <IP-ADDRESS>
    where IP-ADDRESS should be replaced with the IP address of your printer. This will show the CUPS (printing) and SANE (scanning) URIs for your printer.
    Next, there are two approaches to accessing the networked scanner:
    You can temporarily access the scanner by supplying the SANE URI to xsane every time you execute it:
    Code:
    xsane SANE-URI
    where SANE-URI is the SANE URI returned by hp-makeuri.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 18-Dec-2015 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Just a suggestion. I would alwyas try YaST for system management. Then Hardware and then Scanner look the obvious way to go. But this is 13.1, thus just my 2 cents.
    Hi Henk,
    Many thanks. As always your 2 cents worth is gold.

Having now set up scanner with Yast I find Skanlite works in a very primitive way. Not in same league as ancient and now superseded Windoze XP program which HP used to supply with MFP (HP Manager?)

The major shortcoming is very poor functioning with automatic feeder, size adjustment and worst of all no scan to pdf!!!

Any suggestions for a better application that does scan to pdf if required please?

Regards,
    Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Any suggestions for a better application that does scan to pdf if required please?

Regards,
    Budgie2
    As your new request is not covered by the title of this thrread, my advice is: start a new thread. You want to draw the people's attention to your question or not?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Henk,
    Many thanks. As always your 2 cents worth is gold.

Having now set up scanner with Yast I find Skanlite works in a very primitive way. Not in same league as ancient and now superseded Windoze XP program which HP used to supply with MFP (HP Manager?)

The major shortcoming is very poor functioning with automatic feeder, size adjustment and worst of all no scan to pdf!!!

Regards,
    Budgie2
    Try xsane, you can scan to pdf.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Blog Entries

If using HPLIP, then the graphical hp-scan utility may be worth trying.

Regards,
    Budgie2
    I know simple-scan has this ability, as does hp-scan.