Can't install Leap 42.1 from usb with dvd image

I can boot into the flash drive fine, and can select the install option there. It appears to detect my hardware correctly, then drops me to a blue screen with the header "Linuxrc 5.0.61 (kernel 4.1.12-1-default) with a dialogue box in the middle that says “please make sure your installation media is available. click the URL to retry.” a hard drive, a cd drive, and a url that appears to be an opensuse repository. The first two do nothing, and the last one tries to connect to the internet, but I can’t connect yet because my school network requires a browser login. I assumed that the whole point of the dvd image install was to be able to do this offline. What can I do to fix this?

the opensuse iso is a bit selective as to how you write it to a usb drive it has to be done in dd mode, if you are doing it from a Linux (or other *nix) use the dd command for example
dd if=path_to_opensuse_iso.iso of=/dev/sdX
where /dev/sdX is your usb drive use lsdisk to get the right path
if you want to do it from window use rufus press alt+i and select dd mode

using rufus, I wrote the flash drive with dd. exact same error.

Do you maybe have the install from Network DVD. If so you need an Internet connection to install. Or you need the FULL DVD. The ISO should be about 4.7 gig

It’s the full DVD, 4.7 gig

On Thu 17 Dec 2015 11:26:02 PM CST, simonthefox wrote:

It’s the full DVD, 4.7 gig

Hi
Not using a USB 3.0 port?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.51-52.31-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I am using 3.0, and a 3.0 flash drive. What does that break?

Hi
Do you have a USB 2.0 port you can use, or set the USB 3.0 to legacy in the BIOS?

Possibly adding insmod=xhci_hcd as a boot option may help.

do what malcolmlewis said

I am using 3.0, and a 3.0 flash drive. What does that break?

the installer kernel does not support usb 3.0 for that you’d need to use a live installer unfortunately the live installers have been dropped for LEAP afaik no OS natively supports usb3 during install.

also check the sha256 of your iso your download might be corrupt, this is the sha256

8576e84822cdbe566bf551e28a169fc028229831eba9f07a4c1f84302c5ddb09  openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64.iso

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/iso/openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64.iso.sha256

you can calculate sha256 under windows with md5deep you can get it here