Thread: Newbie question about Yast

Default Newbie question about Yast

So, I've got a beginner question; why is it that when I add software or repositories using yast, I get a message that states something about not being able to find the installation media? I'm supposing that the intention is to keep the packages up to date on the installation media in case of re-install. Is this the case?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie question about Yast

Quote Originally Posted by FreqMod View Post
    So, I've got a beginner question; why is it that when I add software or repositories using yast, I get a message that states something about not being able to find the installation media? I'm supposing that the intention is to keep the packages up to date on the installation media in case of re-install. Is this the case?
    No, it is just the install medium (effectively a local repo) left as configured following install. You can safely disable or remove it. Then you won't get that message.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

When you install oS from a DVD or pendrive, Yast add the device as a source. If you latter attempt to use the software manager/updater without the DVD/pendrive, you get this warning. Just pop the disk/pendrive back, or remove the source as the default online installation repo duplicates this, OR, if you want access to the installation repo while offline without the DVD/pendrive, you can copy the DVD/pendrive contents to a folder (or an image of it) in the HD and set it as a repo.

Cross-posted, sorry.

Thanks for the tip, even if you cross-posted, it's still helpful!