screen recorder not working

I need to use a screen recorder for class, so i need this by Monday (hopefully sooner.) When I record all I get is a glitch y video of my mouse moving, whatever I had open in the background so for sure the application, and nothing changes. I have tried simplescreenrecorder, recordmydesktop, and vlc, all had the same problem. I will attach a video of me opening firefox, browsing to openSUSE, closing firefox, opening yast, closing yast, and stopping the recording. I don’t have any clue what this could be, and I really need this to work.[video]https://youtu.be/9GxpxLBcQqw[/video]

Try enabling/disabling hardware acceleration for you GPU.

Another screencasting app you can try
Kazam
http://software.opensuse.org/package/kazam?search_term=kazam

Although not packaged for openSUSE, Vokoscreen was highly recommended by a member of my local Linux UG. Its source is posted on github and the install requirements look to be easily provided by the OSS

You can also try reducing the frame rate for you capture.
Rule of thumbs are
29fps will almost always guarantee seamless, jitter-free video but can require substantial resources if there is a lot of detail
24fps is on the edge of when you might not have jitter-free video
Decrease your screen resolution so less data needs to be captured and encoded.
If you have multiple machines, you can encode on a machine different than the capturing.
Decrease your audio capture quality as much as possible. In fact at my local Linux UG presentation, audio was captured on a separate, dedicated device and was used as a replacement track for the one captured by the computer.

HTH,
TSU

how would I go about turning off hardware acceleration in gnome 3

Just for the heck of it, I tried using recordmydesktop in icewm (because I already had it installed) and it worked. I don’t know why. I don’t know why GNOME would be a problem.

I still need this to work on GNOME.

Then try Tsu’s recommendations.

It may be because Gnome requires a lot more resources than Icewm. I’d start with hardware acceleration.

So how do I disable hardware acceleration?

On Wed 16 Dec 2015 02:16:03 AM CST, Arodd2000 wrote:

Just for the heck of it, I tried using recordmydesktop in icewm (because
I already had it installed) and it worked. I don’t know why. I don’t
know why GNOME would be a problem.

Hi
By default GNOME shell has built in recording for webm (saved to
~/Videos), just press ctrl+alt+shift+r to start and same to stop
recording.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.51-52.31-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thank you, the ctrl+alt+shift+r worked perfectly!

ignore… I should read the OP before posting :frowning: