Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KPPP dies after connecting

Default KPPP dies after connecting

I've gotten KPPP to connect, after Set UID on both /usr/sbin/pppd and /usr/bin/kppp. The error reports pppd terminated with error code 2. MAN pppd says this means there are conflicting arguments in the script. The modem is a USR external serial port, which works perfectly with earlier releases using kinternet or qinternet. Is there a compatible qinternet package?

Default Re: KPPP dies after connecting

Have you gotten all the updates? I believe that one recent update may address this

Thanks for the reply. I installed kppp15.08.3-3.1; once again I had to set UID on the new file. I get the same results: pppd terminated returning error #2. BTW I'm sending this from SuSE 13.1 on the same computer + modem, so hardware is ruled out as an issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Metapsych View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I installed kppp15.08.3-3.1; once again I had to set UID on the new file. I get the same results: pppd terminated returning error #2. BTW I'm sending this from SuSE 13.1 on the same computer + modem, so hardware is ruled out as an issue.
    1. Any conflicting settings in your configuration? (If you want to share here, just leave out any authentication credentials)

2. You could also try using qinternet. Install from here

https://software.opensuse.org/packag...term=qinternet

The 'unstable' package should be fine to install/use.

3. For test purposes, you could also try using the wvdial (CLI) utility.

Initial configuration is then done using
    Code:
    wvialconf
    The basic configuration file can then be edited with the dial string and required authentication credentials in /etc/wvdial.conf

*For serial modem connectivity as user, you need to be a member of the 'dialout' group

I found qinternet; it requires smpppd, of which the latest version I could find is for SuSE 13.2. Zypper installed both RPM's without complaint, but still no go. It does not activate the modem at all, because there is no way to input settings. The qinternent menu has the applicable parts grayed out. At this point I'll have to give up on Leap. Without a working dial-up I can't install updates from the SuSE repository since these are now "1 click" download and install. I still have other problems, e.g. no sound, Gnome does not work and freezes the system when started, etc.

Blog Entries

I found qinternet; it requires smpppd, of which the latest version I could find is for SuSE 13.2. Zypper installed both RPM's without complaint, but still no go. It does not activate the modem at all, because there is no way to input settings. The qinternent menu has the applicable parts grayed out. At this point I'll have to give up on Leap. Without a working dial-up I can't install updates from the SuSE repository since these are now "1 click" download and install. I still have other problems, e.g. no sound, Gnome does not work and freezes the system when started, etc.
    That's a shame. I would like to have seen your ppp config. There may have been something obvious causing this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That's a shame. I would like to have seen your ppp config. There may have been something obvious causing this issue.
    I'll post it later. I have to copy the file to a memory stick to send it from a working installation. It appears the kppp configuration applet correctly configured, but now I suspect permission issues. After each failed attempt, the error message reports unable to create var/log/~ files. Also, the original kppp had "dialout" as group, but the update I installed is "root." As I mentioned earlier, I had to set UID in pppd and kppp order to get kppp to activate my modem. The problem with qinternet seems to be it expects to be configured by YAST, but there is no routine to do that in Leap. I might note that kppp has always been a PITA in later Linuces; Debian just forgets it and recommends using PON and POFF.

I'd send you a copy if I could find it! It's not in /usr/sbin or /etc/ppp. For that matter, there is no such file either in my SuSe 31.1, which is what I'm sending this from. Does it have a different name/location?

Blog Entries

I'd send you a copy if I could find it! It's not in /usr/sbin or /etc/ppp. For that matter, there is no such file either in my SuSe 31.1, which is what I'm sending this from. Does it have a different name/location?
    A long time since I used kppp. I installed it just for the purposes of assisting here. The kppp config file is ~/.kde4/share/config/kppprc

A long time since I used kppp. I installed it just for the purposes of assisting here. The kppp config file is ~/.kde4/share/config/kppprc
    Thanks; found it. See below. Note "xxxx..." and "zzzz..." are where my actual password and logon go. Any idea where qinternet has its config file? [Account0] AccountingEnabled=0 AccountingFile= Authentication=4 AutoDNS=0 AutoName=0 BeforeConnect= BeforeDisconnect= CallbackPhone= CallbackType=0 Command= DNS= DefaultRoute=1 DisconnectCommand= Domain= ExDNSDisabled=0 Gateway=0.0.0.0 IPAddr=0.0.0.0 Name=Earthlink Password=xxxxxx Phonenumber=3390020 ScriptArguments= ScriptCommands= StorePassword=1 SubnetMask=0.0.0.0 Username=eln/zzzzzzzzz VolumeAccountingEnabled=0 pppdArguments= [General] DefaultAccount=Earthlink DefaultModem=USR5686G NumberOfAccounts=1 NumberOfModems=1 PPPDebug=0 ShowLogWindow=0 [Graph] Background=255,255,255 Enabled=true InBytes=0,0,255 OutBytes=255,0,0 Text=0,0,0 [Modem0] BusyWait=0 Device=/dev/ttyS0 Enter=CR FlowControl=Hardware [CRTSCTS] Name=USR5686G Speed=57600 Timeout=60 UseLockFile=1 Volume=1 WaitForDialTone=1 [WindowPosition] WindowPositionConWinX=479 WindowPositionConWinY=456 WindowPositionStatWinX=479 WindowPositionStatWinY=456

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast