Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's automounting SATA partitions in 13.2?

Default What's automounting SATA partitions in 13.2?

Hi,
    what is attempting to mount SATA hard disk partitions in openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) (with KDE Platform Version 4.14.9)?

I've recently installed a second SATA hard disk that has a couple of partitions with other Linux distros on them (on /dev/sdc). I've also a USB attached 500gb backup disk, which I have absolutely no problem with at all, it behaves itself beautifully. It's just the SATA hard disk that I have problems with.

Periodically I get a KDE notification popup (about once every 8-10 minutes) telling me that it was unable to mount a partition, as it did not have the authorisation. This suggest to me that it (whatever "it" is) is running under my user. The syslog only shows this:

Code:
    my-computer kernel: [ 1876.048394]  sdc: sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 < sdc5 >
    If I try (as an experiment) to mount the second hard disk's partitions using the "devices" panel in Dolphin, I get the same error message, both in Dolphin and in the KDE notification pop-up. If I try the same thing while using Dolphin as the superuser, it happily mounts the partitions and I stop getting the periodic pop-up failure message.

I don't actually need access to the second hard disk's partitions most of the time, so do not need this auto-mounting to happen. Which is why I'm trying to find out what is attempting to auto-mount on my (normal user) behalf, so that I can stop it.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Nerderello

Default Re: What's automounting SATA partitions in 13.2?

Is it in your /etc/fstab?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nerderello View Post
    what is attempting to mount SATA hard disk partitions in openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) (with KDE Platform Version 4.14.9)?
    That's probably "systemd" attempting to mount. But it only does that if you somewhere have configuration telling it to mount. So, check "/etc/fstab".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

No I don't think that it's a fstab thing. I added the following to /etc/fstab after the auto-mounts pop-ups started to happen, hoping that the "noauto" would stop it (it didn't):

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD321KJ_S0MQJ1DQ100730-part1 /mnt/Linux-Lite    ext4 defaults,noauto,users,rw        0 0
    I've also checked to see if there is anything in /etc/udev/rules.d which may be about it (only have rules for 55-libsane.rules, 56-sane-backends-autoconfig.rules and 70-persistent-net.rules). And there doesn't seem to be anywhere to configure the likes of "udisks".

cheers
    Nerderello

And it is formatted ext4?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nerderello View Post
    No I don't think that it's a fstab thing. I added the following to /etc/fstab after the auto-mounts pop-ups started to happen, hoping that the "noauto" would stop it (it didn't):
    Run (as root)
    Code:
    mkinitrd
    It's possible that the initrd has some stale information that is telling systemd to mount that.

Make sure that the partition is not mounted when running "mkinitrd" (just in case it checks that). Then see what happens after the next reboot.

And yes -- in case it wasn't obvious -- I'm guessing here.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    And it is formatted ext4?
    Yes, it's a good old fashion ext4 partition.

I'll give the mkinitrd a go and let you know.

regards
    Nerderello

Blog Entries

Periodically I get a KDE notification popup (about once every 8-10 minutes) telling me that it was unable to mount a partition, as it did not have the authorisation. This suggest to me that it (whatever "it" is) is running under my user.
    I suspect udiskd is the culprit. That allows DE's to manage/handle mounting via D-Bus

http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/

Monitor with
    Code:
    udisksctl monitor

Blog Entries

The Device Notifier can be configured to inhibit mounting of 'removable' storage devices that have not been mounted before etc.

Many thanks for all the response.

I tried both "udisksctl monitor" and "dbus-monitor" which both showed the activity (adding then removing the partition), but not what was asking for this to be done.

So, in the end, I gave up and added the partition to /etc/fstab with "auto", so it is mounted when I boot up. I also created a backup version of fstab without this, because I know that when I start playing with the second disk's partitions, I'll, at one point or another, delete the partition and then be unable to logon to OpenSuse graphically the next time (had this problem before, as I'm always mucking around with unused partitions).

thanks
    again

Nerderello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast