Thread: Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

Exclamation Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

Trying to install tumbleweed by using tumbleweed-kde-livecd -"openSUSE-Tumbleweed-KDE-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20151201-Media.iso".
    The installation media fails to boot.
    I made the media - flash drive by
    Code:
    dd if=/path/to/iso of=/path/to/flashDrive bs=2M
    The journal service failed to start, it timed out. The plymouth boot screen showed following error
    Code:
    [FAILED]Failed to start Journal Service
    [DEPEND]Dependency failed for flush journal to Persistent Storage
    I've verified the sha256 checksum, so no errors in downloading file
    Acer V3-571G - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Windows 10 Pro

Question Re: Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

Is there a solution or is this is a bug?

Default Re: Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

What was the path to flash drive you used. You must do it to the device and not to a partition on the device

Post Re: Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What was the path to flash drive you used. You must do it to the device and not to a partition on the device
    Code:
    dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2M

Just making sure you did not put a 1 on the end to write to a partition. That is correct assuming /dev/sdb is the USB drive.

Did you check the check sums of the ISO to be certain you got a good download?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vishy View Post
    Trying to install tumbleweed by using tumbleweed-kde-livecd -"openSUSE-Tumbleweed-KDE-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20151201-Media.iso".
    The installation media fails to boot.
    There's a problem with live media at present.

See this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...urnal-service)

There's a workaround toward the end. The workaround was tested with the live rescue CD, but should also work with live KDE.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I should have added that, as far as I know, the DVD installer should be fine. I'll probably be testing that tomorrow.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Question Re: Installation media fails to boot - Journal service fails to start

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you check the check sums of the ISO to be certain you got a good download?
    Yes I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There's a problem with live media at present.

See this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/510292-can-t-install-or-boot-in-live-(A-start-job-is-running-for-journal-service)

There's a workaround toward the end. The workaround was tested with the live rescue CD, but should also work with live KDE.
    Couldn't understand the workaround. For now I'm reverting to 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I should have added that, as far as I know, the DVD installer should be fine. I'll probably be testing that tomorrow.
    I avoided DVD installer because DVD size is huge as per the download speed which I'm getting now in my university and I was sure that I'll be using KDE only.

AFAIK, the DVD offers benefit of choosing any DE KDE, GNOME, Lxde, XFCE or without any DE, also gives rescue option and upgrade option. Are there any other benefits?
    If I'm sure that I'll use KDE only I don't understand the need of downloading DVD installer.