Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to get out of a frozen desktop?

Default Is there a way to get out of a frozen desktop?

Leap & KDE plasma5.

Yesterday my desktop froze several times (my system has been quite stable for the past week). None of the keystrokes that I am familiar with worked but I was able to go to a virtual terminal. When I went back to KDE with C-A-F7 I had a black screen and moving mouse arrow. The solution I used (did not try C-A-D) was to go to a virtual terminal and execute shutdown.

I did not think to examine some log files from the virtual terminal, I'll do that if this happens again. Looking back in journalctl this is what I see prior to switching to a virtual terminal to shutdown

Code:
    Dec 07 23:36:26 linux-shpr dbus[996]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' unit='packagekit.service'
    Dec 07 23:36:26 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: daemon start
    Dec 07 23:36:26 linux-shpr dbus[996]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'
    Dec 07 23:36:27 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
    Dec 07 23:36:27 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: uid 1000 obtained auth for org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh
    Dec 07 23:36:27 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
    Dec 07 23:36:27 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: uid 1000 obtained auth for org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh
    Dec 07 23:36:58 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: refresh-cache transaction /1_eeacbeec from uid 1000 finished with success after 30901ms
    Dec 07 23:36:58 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: refresh-cache transaction /2_adaaaade from uid 1000 finished with success after 18ms
    Dec 07 23:36:59 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: get-updates transaction /3_eeedbddb from uid 1000 finished with success after 1051ms
    Dec 07 23:37:16 linux-shpr PackageKit[2165]: daemon quit
    Dec 07 23:37:16 linux-shpr packagekitd[2165]: (packagekitd:2165): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 6 was not found when attempting to remove it
    Dec 07 23:40:04 linux-shpr login[2384]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)
    Dec 07 23:40:04 linux-shpr systemd[2393]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    Dec 07 23:40:04 linux-shpr login[2384]: ROOT LOGIN ON tty2
    Ctl-Esc and alt-F2 did not work for me. I did not know about C-A-backspace. I'd like to know if there are some other commands I can try if this happens to me again.

At the time of the crash I had several programs open in different windows, including firefox, dolphin, vBox, and liboffice spreadsheets.

The desktop has not crashed on me yet today and so at this point it is not repeatable.

Default Re: Is there a way to get out of a frozen desktop?

My desktop crashed again. This is some additional info.
    C-A-backspace did not appear to do anything. C-A-D produced some drive light activity but otherwise did not appear to do anything.

This crash occurred when closing a liboffice spreadsheet. I have used this program without problems almost daily since installing Leap, Friday was the last time I used it without a problem. This is tail of .xsession-errors-:0

Code:
    KActivitiesStats( 0x2d84280 ) ResultModel::Private::onResultAdded  result added: "/home/jon/Documents/Spreadsheets/Fund holdings.ods" score: 0 last: 1449628826 first: 1449628826
    QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 36565, resource id: 18874756, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
    kdeinit5: PID 5805 terminated.
    kdeinit5: PID 5813 terminated.
    kdeinit5: PID 5811 terminated.
    kdeinit5: PID 5812 terminated.
    Is net mobile: false
    Is net online: true
    Is on battery: false
    Checking updates, forced: false
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.bluetooth/contents/ui/BluetoothApplet.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.bluetooth/contents/ui/BluetoothApplet.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
    Daemon changed
    Is net mobile: false
    Is on battery: false
    Checking updates, forced: false
    Transaction status changed: "waiting-for-auth" "(101%)"
    Transaction status changed: "wait" "(101%)"
    Transaction status changed: "setup" "(101%)"
    Daemon changed
    Transaction status changed: "refresh-cache" "(0%)"
    Transaction status changed: "finished" "(100%)"
    Transaction "/1_bdedbaae" finished with status "success" in 29 seconds
    Cache transaction finished successfully
    Daemon changed
    Transaction "/2_cadbabeb" finished with status "success" in 0 seconds
    Cache transaction finished successfully
    Updates changed, getting updates!
    Transaction status changed: "query" "(101%)"
    Transaction "/3_eabdceea" finished with status "success" in 0 seconds
    Check updates transaction finished successfully
    Total number of updates:  0
    QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 46953, resource id: 73400367, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
    kdeinit5: PID 5822 terminated.
    settingsFile:  "/home/jon/.recently-used"
    settingsFile:  "/home/jon/.recently-used"
    powerdevil: ACTIVE SESSION PATH CHANGED: "/"
    powerdevil: Switched to inactive session - leaving unchanged
    powerdevil: ACTIVE SESSION PATH CHANGED: "/org/freedesktop/login1/session/_310"
    The last few lines are apparently when I switched to tty2 in order to execute a shutdown.

Do the entries offer any possibilities of what my problem is?

Frozen Desktop:

If X crashes, you can often recover from the crash, then restart X server without rebooting. You will, though, lose unsaved data in any GUI programs.

First thing to try is Ctrl-Alt-[backspace] twice.

Why twice? This is a failsafe move. Often, some users -- particularly newcomers -- would hit that key combination by mistake. Several Linux distributions have disabled that key combination for that reason, whereas openSUSE has it set to require confirmation -- a second invocation of the key combination within a short period of time -- to be certain it is not an accidental move.

Ctrl-Alt-[backspace] (twice in openSUSE) will kill and immediately restart the X server.

But this is an X server shortcut, so if X hangs in certain ways, it may not work.

In that case, try Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or another up to and including F6) to get to another virtual console. Ctrl-Alt-F7 will simply return you to the frozen X.

At the console, log in as root and execute one of the following:
    For gnome:
    Code:
    killall gdm
    For kde:
    Code:
    killall kdm
    If that fails in LEAP, try:
    Code:
    killall sddm

If your keyboard is locked up, you may not be able to use the Ctrl-Alt solutions above. If the system does not respond to the key-presses, it can be because the X server has taken control of the keyboard.

To get control of the keyboard back, try:
    Code:
    Alt-SysRq-r
    Then try the Ctrl-Alt-F1 solution.

You could also use
    Code:
    Alt-SysRq-k
    to kill all programs, including the X server.

Here is how to use the Alt-SysRq combination to cleanly restart your system. While holding Alt-SysRq, type the following key sequence, but pause for several seconds between each key:
    Code:
    reisub
    Here is what it does:

1. r puts the keyboard into raw mode, taking control of it away from the X server;
    2. e sends a signal to all processes to terminate gracefully;
    3. i sends the kill signal to all processes to immediately kill them;
    4. s flushes the data from your cache to the HD;
    5. u remounts all file systems read-only;
    6. and b reboots your computer.

Does any of this help?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

ctrl-alt-backspace twice????

Things to try

If using default video driver try the proprietary driver. Which video card??
    changing setting in the KDE screen settings
    tray a different DM default is sddm maybe try kdm or lightdm

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well, that was what was how it was in use a couple versions back, last time I had to use it, AFAIR. This no longer the openSUSE norm?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yep. Just tried, and it is still the same as late as 13.1, so I presume it is the same in 13.2 and LEAP.

However, I did discover that the Alt-SysRq has the r, e, & i options disabled, although the s, u, & b options will still work as outlined.

I imagine those have been disabled for security reasons. If a person wants them back, they can always enable them, but would have to do so consciously.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Gerry: Great info, I'll be printing out that post for reference.

Gorgalthorp:
    My video card is an ATI Radeon HD7570. After initial Leap install I was using fglrx. A few weeks ago I switched to default video driver (nouveau?). It proved more stable on my system. Until this weekend. Not certain, I am guessing the problem is with LibOffice. I am now accessing my spreadsheets via vBox and gnome 13.2 while I continue to search for info and watching for another crash to tell me it is NOT LibOffice.

My screen setting was openGL 2.0, I have just changed that to xrender.

thanks, jon

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    First thing to try is Ctrl-Alt-[backspace] twice.
    That worked perfectly. I opened a spreadsheet, made a change, saved it, and closed it. With only the file folder open on the desktop, the desktop was frozen.

Ctrl-Alt-[backspace] twice offered me a login screen and here I am.

Still wondering about libOffice causing this freeze that was not happening before this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 6520302 View Post
    That worked perfectly. I opened a spreadsheet, made a change, saved it, and closed it. With only the file folder open on the desktop, the desktop was frozen.

Ctrl-Alt-[backspace] twice offered me a login screen and here I am.

Still wondering about libOffice causing this freeze that was not happening before this weekend.
    Yes, and that is the real problem here that needs to be solved: What keeps locking you up?

It could be graphics related, as gogalthorp points out, often a prime suspect in such cases. It might even be a graphics card starting to fail (I had that happening on one of my Acer laptops a couple of years ago. First, random freezes, then eventually after several months or maybe even a year or two, no longer booting because of dead graphics module built into the motherboard.)

I have also seen such freezes because of a faulty memory module that developed problems after working fine for a long time, or even a badly seated one.

There are, of course, other things, including overheating (especially in laptops).

Good luck hunting down the problem. (...and, I am saying this with optimistic encouragement, so do not misinterpret this last sentence as suggesting it is hopeless! )
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

BTW:

If you want to turn the r, e, & i options back on, just post back here and I will help you with that.

But it would not hurt for you to investigate the reasons why the devs have decided it is best to have those turned off by default.

If you do want that help, it depends on your current settings, so then post the output of
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast