KMail doesn't remember IMAP password

Hi,
When I turned KMail on first time and configured an IMAP account, KMail asked me, if I wanted to store the IMAP account’s password in kwallet. I declined it. From now on 2 things happen:

1. I have to input the password to the IMAP account each time I open KMail.
  2. I can’t tell KMail to neither store this password itself, nor to store it in kwallet any more.

Can anyone explain to me, how to make KMail either store the IMAP password itself, or let kwallet store it?

Regards

You have to set it up in kwallet just run it it is pretty obvious

Also if you simply leave the kwallet password blank then it will not ask for it again but still remember you passwords in the app

Not that simple, as kwallet manager doesn’t work for me at all. When I press System -> KWalletManager, nothing happens.

What happens if you run “kwalletmanager” in a Konsole?

Also check that it is not already running in the system tray, click on the small up-arrow to display all hidden entries.

You can also remove ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc to reset kwallet.

Note that this applies to KDEPIM4 (4.14.10). If you use the KF5 based versions (which are mainly included as “tech preview”), use kwalletmanager5 and/or ~/.config/kwalletrc.

linux-81ah:~# kwalletmanager5
QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
Aborted

Also check that it is not already running in the system tray, click on the small up-arrow to display all hidden entries.

Nothing there related to KWalletManager.

You can also remove ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc to reset kwallet.

Note that this applies to KDEPIM4 (4.14.10). If you use the KF5 based versions (which are mainly included as “tech preview”), use kwalletmanager5 and/or ~/.config/kwalletrc.

I killed all the processes related to KWallet (which were kwalletd5 & kwalletmanager5) as well as deleted the ~/.config/kwalletrc file, but when I run kwalletmanager5 afterwards, there was the same result as before.

You try to run it as root. That won’t work.
Run it as user.

I killed all the processes related to KWallet (which were kwalletd5 & kwalletmanager5) as well as deleted the ~/.config/kwalletrc file, but when I run kwalletmanager5 afterwards, there was the same result as before.

Again, if you use kmail4, you need kwalletmanager (which probably is not installed then) and/or remove ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc.

So, which kmail version are you running?

You were right, it worked, when I run it as a user, thank you.

Again, if you use kmail4, you need kwalletmanager (which probably is not installed then) and/or remove ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc.

So, which kmail version are you running?

I’m running KMail 4.14.10. What can I do in this situation?

Install and run kwalletmanager (without ‘5’). But that will force you to uninstall kwalletmanager5.

Or, as I said, remove ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc, this should enabled kwallet4, or edit the file in a text editor to say “Enabled=true” instead of “Enabled=false”.

If that doesn’t help, you could try to remove (or better rename) ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet/ as well to wipe out the wallet start completely fresh.

I enabled kdewallet in ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc file and it worked, thank you!

Is there any ETA for KMail version compatible with kdewallet5?

It is available already and it is included in Leap 42.1.
But the package is called kmail5.

There were still problems in 15.08.0 (the first KF5 version), so it isn’t installed by default in favour of the more tested KDE4 version.
But the current 15.08.3 should work ok AFAIK.

Thank you for the specific answers you gave to all my questions. I guess it’s people like you who make the community better.