IBM SPSS Statistics not working

Hi,

I’ve searched the net and forum here to find somebody who got SPSS Version 21 or 22 to work on newer 64bit Opensuse versions - but to no avail.

When installing I get the message: Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead…

Under Ubuntu-based distributions this worked fine after installing the ia32-libs package. I have looked for replacements for this package under Opensuse and I installed all the package that people mentioned in forums posts etc. but the problem persists. I of course also installed the 32-bit pattern in the software manager.

I am sure there is or will be someone with the same issue: let’s share the information we got.

Thanks.

I’m interested in this kind of stuff.

Which trial are you trying to install?
I see many downloads…
https://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/spss/downloads.html

TSU

TW (fully updated as of today)
LXDE Desktop
VMware Guest (so using the VMware video driver)

I just downloaded and installed IBM SPSS Statistics 23 and all components installed without issue.

Running the first time, it threw an error, something about “network host not found” and then a number.
But after waiting a few seconds, that disappeared prompting me to apply to start the trial.
That completed and now it appears to be running fine.

The download was the full package, just under 1GB in size.
Installation option was to install everything offered, despite the fact that openSUSE installs today with its own version of Python, but I didn’t see an option to install the SPSS Python extensions without installing its own Python. As long as this is a dedicated single use machine, I don’t expect this to be a problem but could conceivably be an issue in the future particularly if this is not a dedicated machine and could be used to run many other python apps.

You might take a look in your journal to see if a more descriptive error was thrown.
If you’re also running in a VM (as your error suggests), which virtualization are you running?

TSU

I now tried to launch the installer without root privileges and that worked!

Thats the second time I am stuck for some time on my new Opensuse machine because I am thinking that things work the way here they do on Ubuntu where I spent all my Linux time on. There I was requested to install SPSS with root privileges. It does not make sense to me why this is different here and I never considered this to be the problem. (The other time a network path to my NAS worked under Ubuntu but did not under Opensuse. Also very weird.)

Thank you, anyway!

Well, I don’t know the SPSS installer, but root privileges are definitely required to install it system-wide.
If it’s only going to be “installed” into the user’s home directory, you do not have to (and actually should not) run it as root.

It does not make sense to me why this is different here and I never considered this to be the problem.

I suppose you used “sudo” to start it as root.
This doesn’t work on openSUSE for graphical applications, but it works in Ubuntu.

You have to use “kdesu”, “gnomesu”, or “xdg-su” to run it as root instead, then it should be able to open a window in your user session.

Certainly, without root I could only install it in my home directory, which I now did.

I know only to start launch applications with kdesu (like kate when editing system configs), but never thought about graphical installers like SPSS in this case. With kdesu it works like a charm! So Ubuntu simply never complained about me not using gnomesu so I never noticed my mistake. Now this all makes sense. Thank you!

Well sudo is far more important in Ubuntu and works differently then in openSUSE. In openSUSE there is actually, by default, a root user which does not normally exist in Ubuntu. So the default is not to have sudo have the full power of root.