Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

  1. #1

    Default lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Hi

    The program I know of to monitor temperature is lm-sensors.

    I have opensuse 42.1 leap into a box and opensuse 13.2 in another box.

    I searched the lmsensors program in both versions (42.1 and 13.2) of openSUSE and does not appear be installed. Nevertheless, in opensuse 13.2 there is a widget which shows the temperature of my processor :/

    I'm confused . How can the widgets display the temperature in 13.2, if there is no lmsensors intalled ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,488
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Hi
    It's called 'sensors' these days...
    Code:
    zypper in sensors
    sensors-detect
    sensors
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    It's called 'sensors' these days...
    Code:
    zypper in sensors
    sensors-detect
    sensors
    Thank you for your replies

    Excuse for my English, I'm trying to communicate ...

    Opensuse 13.2 and also the Opensuse The Leap 42.1, does not have, on a clean installation, sensors installed

    but although they have not on a clean installation, sensors installed in opensuse 13.2 there is a widget ( in opensuse 13.2 ) that shows the temperature of my processor

    How can it ?

    thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,488
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Quote Originally Posted by caterRu View Post
    Thank you for your replies

    Excuse for my English, I'm trying to communicate ...

    Opensuse 13.2 and also the Opensuse The Leap 42.1, does not have, on a clean installation, sensors installed

    but although they have not on a clean installation, sensors installed in opensuse 13.2 there is a widget ( in opensuse 13.2 ) that shows the temperature of my processor

    How can it ?

    thanks
    Hi
    What desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, XFCE etc)? Maybe post a screenshot of what your wanting?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Sensors is just an interface to the temperature sensors. The Temperature widget probably just access the hardware directly. Nothing at all magic about sensors package.

  6. #6

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    If you do sensors-detect it tells you what kernel driver it accesses, like Intel Coretemp driver in my case. The KDE widgets access the same driver, or the information is fed to them because they're a lot slower, less accurate to update than using the terminal command. You can watch the widget adjust to the sensors command when it updates.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  7. #7

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    What desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, XFCE etc)? Maybe post a screenshot of what your wanting?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Sensors is just an interface to the temperature sensors. The Temperature widget probably just access the hardware directly. Nothing at all magic about sensors package.
    Thanks

    Use KDE



    →→→ the red arrow shows in YaST that lmsensors (sensors) is not installed

    →→→ the blue arrow shows that the widgets use lmsensors (sensors)


    lmsensors could be installed in the kernel, or something?


    The question might be stupid, but I'm new to opensuse

    thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Quote Originally Posted by caterRu View Post
    lmsensors could be installed in the kernel, or something?
    The kernel has the necessary drivers - do read carefully the post from david_banner for explanation re "sensors" package versus the KDE widget.

    Running sensors-detect scans your hardware and offers to set the results in a config file at /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors.

    I believe that systemd initializes the lm_sensors service (see YaST Services Manager) using that config file at system startup to load the required kernel modules. The service should be "Enabled" and "Active".

    At the command line, "sensors" will display the status of the lm_sensors detected, and to provide continuous monitoring use "watch sensors" (key Ctrl+Z to quit). The quote marks are not required.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  9. #9

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    The kernel has the necessary drivers - do read carefully the post from david_banner for explanation re "sensors" package versus the KDE widget.
    I do !


    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post

    Running sensors-detect scans your hardware and offers to set the results in a config file at /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors.
    If I run "sensors-detect" I get



    Code:
    # sensors-detect
    If 'sensors-detect' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf sensors-detect
    What was to be expected since I have not "lmsensor" (sensors) installed

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post

    I believe that systemd initializes the lm_sensors service (see YaST Services Manager) using that config file at system startup to load the required kernel modules. The service should be "Enabled" and "Active".

    At the command line, "sensors" will display the status of the lm_sensors detected, and to provide continuous monitoring use "watch sensors" (key Ctrl+Z to quit). The quote marks are not required.
    Code:
    # sensors
    If 'sensors' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf sensors

    ps: Every magic trick has a, if there is no trick is that there is a mystery

    thanks for the replies

  10. #10

    Default Re: lm sensors opensuse 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2

    I think the secret is in

    libsensors4


    libsensors4 - Hardware health monitoring library
    libsensors offers a way for applications to access the hardware monitoring chips of the system. A system-dependent configuration file controls how the different inputs are labeled and what scaling factors have to be applied for the specific hardware, so that the output makes sense to the user.
    The above was taken from Yast information .

    It explains also because I have "sensors3.conf" file in /etc

    but if this is true, then what program I could use to read temperatures, without being widgets ???

    Thank you and sorry for the nonsense

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •