Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

  1. #1

    Default After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    I have been using OpenSuSe since version 9, am now on 13.2.
    I find that my old brain is unable to comprehend the information on line as to how I should update my O.S. to the latest version available.
    There appears to be two systems on offer Tumbleweed or Leap, the information for which I find very confusing. Can anyone clarify exactly what these are and which would likely be the best successor to 13.2.

    Thank you in anticipation

    merkland.

  2. #2

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by merkland View Post
    Can anyone clarify exactly what these are and which would likely be the best successor to 13.2.
    Leap 42.1 is the successor to 13.2, and has been released a month ago.
    But you don't have to upgrade yet, 13.2 is still supported for over a year.
    See also: https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

    Tumbleweed is something completely different though and exists parallel to 13.2/Leap. It is not stable release, but openSUSE's *rolling* distribution, formerly known as "Factory".

  3. #3

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Leap 42.1 is the successor to 13.2, and has been released a month ago.
    But you don't have to upgrade yet, 13.2 is still supported for over a year.
    See also: https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

    Tumbleweed is something completely different though and exists parallel to 13.2/Leap. It is not stable release, but openSUSE's *rolling* distribution, formerly known as "Factory".
    Thank you very much that explains it perfectly.

    merkland.

  4. #4

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Currently 13.2 seems to be very stalbe and this is the top priority for most scientific users. I hope this version could be support for a longer time since for such kind of purpose we don't need the latest library but stability......



    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Leap 42.1 is the successor to 13.2, and has been released a month ago.
    But you don't have to upgrade yet, 13.2 is still supported for over a year.
    See also: https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

    Tumbleweed is something completely different though and exists parallel to 13.2/Leap. It is not stable release, but openSUSE's *rolling* distribution, formerly known as "Factory".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by albumns View Post
    Currently 13.2 seems to be very stalbe and this is the top priority for most scientific users. I hope this version could be support for a longer time since for such kind of purpose we don't need the latest library but stability......
    13.1 is the current evergreen, if you need a long turn support use that version.

  6. #6

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    13.1 is the current evergreen, if you need a long turn support use that version.


    HMMM. Why not make 13.2 as evergreen? Several professonal software cannot run well under 13.1, but everything is perfect in 13.2 .....

    I would strongly sugguest make 13.2 also as evergreen.

  7. #7

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    13.1 is the current evergreen, if you need a long turn support use that version.


    Meawhile, 13.1 also has some problem of supporing macbook pro. dual system (eg: graphic card driver), this issue is also solved in 13.2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by albumns View Post
    HMMM. Why not make 13.2 as evergreen? Several professonal software cannot run well under 13.1, but everything is perfect in 13.2 .....

    I would strongly sugguest make 13.2 also as evergreen.
    It's already been decided...

    https://news.opensuse.org/2013/08/26...ept-evergreen/

    I guess you could test Leap as well.

  9. #9

    Angry Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It's already been decided...

    https://news.opensuse.org/2013/08/26...ept-evergreen/

    I guess you could test Leap as well.


    I've tested Leap in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, there are countless bugs and problems, and it is definitely not a good system for scientific research I am afraid.

    For most scientistic work, the library cannot be too new because many professional software won't support that. It cannot be too old, otherwise some new tools cannot run properly either.

    openSUSE 13.1 seems to be problematic in many aspects and the library is not sufficiently new for many software. openSUSE 13.2 on the other hand is just perferct and it keeps balence between new and stable.

    In the official website won't keep 13.2 evergreen, probably I should clone all the necessary repository in my own computer and make it evergreen by myself.......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,048

    Default Re: After OpenSuSe 13.2 what next?

    On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:56:06 +0000, albumns wrote:

    > I've tested Leap in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, there are countless
    > bugs and problems, and it is definitely not a good system for scientific
    > research I am afraid.


    Have you reported the bugs you found? I've just upgraded 3 systems here,
    and once I got them upgraded, they seem pretty solid.

    > For most scientistic work, the library cannot be too new because many
    > professional software won't support that. It cannot be too old,
    > otherwise some new tools cannot run properly either.


    Sounds like you need to talk to your software vendors, and either use a
    distribution they fully support, or make sure they give you information
    about the libraries you need.

    > openSUSE 13.1 seems to be problematic in many aspects and the library is
    > not sufficiently new for many software. openSUSE 13.2 on the other hand
    > is
    > just perferct and it keeps balence between new and stable.
    >
    > In the official website won't keep 13.2 evergreen, probably I should
    > clone all the necessary repository in my own computer and make it
    > evergreen by myself.......


    Which means you'll be backporting all security fixes the same way the
    Evergreen team does for 13.1.

    Which is likely to be a fair bit of work.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •