GoldenCheetah v3.3 for 13.2?

Is the new GoldenCheetah 3.3 available for openSUSE 13.2 anywhere?

Hi
I have 3.1, will update to 3.3 for you :wink:

On Tue 01 Dec 2015 02:06:02 AM CST, 6tr6tr wrote:

Is the new GoldenCheetah 3.3 available for openSUSE 13.2 anywhere?

Hi
Updated to 3.3 and now building, please test and provide feedback :slight_smile:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.48-52.27-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thank you, do you know if I need to uninstall the previous version first?

Hi
It should just upgrade…

Thanks.

It appears to work and have upgraded properly but it’s very, very slow and CPU intensive. During the first startup, it hit 184% CPU usage (how is that possible?)! And then when clicking the “trends” tab, it hit 99% and has now stayed there for 2 minutes. It still has not switched to the “trends” tab. The kinfo center claims that 5GB of RAM is still free.

I restarted the computer, but I’m still getting the same issue. Clicking the “trends” tab results in nothing happening even after 2 minutes. the Linux command “top” shows it running at 99% of cpu.

EDIT: after 8 minutes, it finally switched to the trends tab! 8 minutes! The old GC was slow, but never took that long. Any idea what’s wrong?

Hi
If you start from the command line, do you see any output? I need some sample data…

Note that according to the “LINUX INSTALL” source documentation, the first time the app runs can be slow. Am quoting verbatim complete with odd linguistics… :slight_smile:

NOTE: When you run version 3 it will refresh ride metrics and CP files – this only occurs the first time it runs (and will refresh only rides that change after that). I find it is best
to import ride files once your build where you want it. i.e. don’t import until you have
got all your dependencies sorted.

NOTE: To reduce the dependencies on ‘dormant’ code there are a number of new pieces of source
that are included in the release3 tree. Notably; qtsoap from qt-solutions, since they
work but are likely to be archived and deprecated. If and when that happens we may well
adopt whatever classes Trolltech introduce.

TSU

I just ran it from the command line but got zero output! Any ideas?

What seems to hang the most is changing views/opening windows/popups.

I restarted the computer, restarted the app and the same thing occurs.

Hi
So, if you open a terminal and use;

gdb GoldenCheetah
(gdb) run <press enter>

Then see if there is any output when it appears to hang…

So what is you training device? Since not all bits are built by default. I’m trying to get it working with qt5 at present, but have issues with the dropbox part…

On startup, I get a lot of statements like:

Missing separate debuginfo for /usr/lib64/qt4/plugins/menubar/libappmenu-qt.so
Try: zypper install -C "debuginfo(build-id)=d3652bbf89ed53bbde385660b59a621ffc062e8c"

When I try to run that suggested command, I get:

No provider of 'debuginfo-build-id = d3652bbf89ed53bbde385660b59a621ffc062e8c' found.

Also, when I switch to the trends tab, it hangs and gives NO output in the terminal.

I’m using a Garmin Edge 1000 with HRM and Garmin Vector power meter.

I don’t know how well Malcolm will be able to able to troubleshoot building Goldencheetah, skimming the Linux Install documentation it looks pretty complex, partly because it builds on and integrates a couple other very large and complex projects. It’s very much a “Big Data” app, note that it might involve lucene (basis for Hadoop and Elasticsearch Big Data clusters) and utilized Flex and Bison which I’ve seen in a couple other “Big Data Analysis” apps.

My recommendation is to ask the Golden Cheetah folks to build a docker app since it looks like their main focus is to build on Debian. This presumably would be very easy for them to do.

Once they’ve built that, then it would be simple to run it on openSUSE (any version), just install docker, download the image and run.

TSU

I suggested this but they don’t seem to have any interest.

Too bad, as I described should be fairly easy for someone who has experience building the app.

Unfortunately I am under a heavy work load through the holidays so can’t spend the time I know this would involve starting from scratch with no experience building this app before and seeing the many options that might be included.

If someone would be interested in creating a docker app for Golden Cheetah, I’d be happy to provide assistance without actually doing the work, including the initial planning and if desired setting up a Github project for collobaration.

If you’d like to at least consider, first see what docker is, install and run a couple elementary tasks… I’ve taken a couple of the official “First Steps” and translated them to openSUSE flavored tutorials. See the Docker pages I created on my Wiki
https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2

After that,
We can talk about setting up the initial base for building.

Who knows, after iniitally getting this off the ground it might include others who have built Golden Cheetah before.

TSU

Did you see my responses above?

Is there any progress?

I had to switch back to using the older version.

On Wed 23 Dec 2015 10:16:02 PM CST, 6tr6tr wrote:

malcolmlewis;2741116 Wrote:
> Hi
> So, if you open a terminal and use;
> >
Code:

> >
> gdb GoldenCheetah
> …
> …
> (gdb) run <press enter>
>

> >
> Then see if there is any output when it appears to hang…
>
> So what is you training device? Since not all bits are built by
> default. I’m trying to get it working with qt5 at present, but have
> issues with the dropbox part…

Did you see my responses above?

Is there any progress?

I had to switch back to using the older version.

Hi
Nope… I will move back to just the qt4 build, need to roll back the
supporting packages as well. Probably won’t get around till after the
weekend.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.51-52.31-default

Thanks. Hope you had a great New Year!

On Mon 04 Jan 2016 08:16:01 PM CST, 6tr6tr wrote:

malcolmlewis;2744948 Wrote:
> Hi
> Nope… I will move back to just the qt4 build, need to roll back the
> supporting packages as well. Probably won’t get around till after the
> weekend.
>

Thanks. Hope you had a great New Year!

Hi
We did :slight_smile: Been busy with other stuff, hopefully after our Son heads
back to school tomorrow will get some additional time.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.51-52.31-default