Cannot select vlc in file association for mp4

Under KDE in Configure Desktop/Applications/File Association I have several players in a list for mp4/m4v with kaffeine on top, followed by VLC, Dragon Player and mpv Media Player. When i try to move VLC up, above Kaffeine, and click Apply, it moves back to the former order and does not accept VLC on top. Any reason for this ?

Just a guess as I do not have the same problem: have you got vlc-codecs installed?
Also, I note that vlc and mpv move together.

yes I have all vlc libraries and codecs from Packman and vlc works fine, even with mp4 or m4v. It seems that the problem has more to do with the systemsettings5 program.

Here is what I get in the console when trying to move up VLC :

“video/mp4” hasDefinitionFile: false
Entry “video/mp4” is dirty. Saving.
“video/mp4” hasDefinitionFile: false
(“services”, “servicetypes”, “xdgdata-mime”, “apps”)
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “Shockwave Flash file” m_comment= “FutureSplash Player”
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “Java class” m_comment= “IcedTea”
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “Microsoft Media Format” m_comment= “AVI video”
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “PKCS#7 Message and Certificates” m_comment= “PKCS#7 certificate bundle”
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “X.509 Certificate” m_comment= “DER/PEM/Netscape-encoded X.509 certificate”
Mimetype Patterns Dirty: old= (".wav") m_patterns= ()
Mimetype Patterns Dirty: old= ("
.oga", “.ogg") m_patterns= ()
.avf”, “.avi", ".divx”) m_patterns= ()
Mimetype Patterns Dirty: old= (".flv") m_patterns= ()
.f4v", “.m4v", ".mp4”) m_patterns= ()
Mimetype Patterns Dirty: old= (".mp2", ".mpe", “.mpeg", ".mpg”, “.vob", “[0-9][0-9][0-9].vdr”) m_patterns= ()
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “ASF video” m_comment= “Windows Media video”
Mimetype Comment Dirty: old= “Microsoft ASX playlist” m_comment= “Windows Media video”
.ogg”, “*.ogv”) m_patterns= ()

Go to an mp4 file, right click it, select ‘open with’ and then ‘other’. A little window with a menu structure will pop up. Navigate through multimedia in the menu and highlight VLC. At the bottom of the window is ‘rememeber file association for this media type’ or something similar. Tick that and then select ok.
In my experience, VLC is stuffed in Leap though, so i personally wouldn’t use it. I’ve moved to SMPlayer. It’s just as good.

Did it and it works. When I now go back to File Association VLC has moved to the top.I have tried the other players, but still prefer VLC.I use kaffeine for tv though. I also used it for Quicktime format, but now VLC has improved and is better. It is a question of taste as well. Thanks.