Thread: LEAP42.1 Grub2 problem

Default LEAP42.1 Grub2 problem

All, Leap42.1 will boot ok to a certain extent on this system. But not without some intervention. If I reboot from say OpenSuse 13.2 into Leap42.1 the system hangs when it tries to start Grub. To overcome this I have to do a full shutdown, including turning off the switch on the Power Supply for about 10 seconds. The pc will then boot into the Grub2 menu from where I can select Leap42.1 for boot. This is not the case using reboot. It appears that some process may not be shutting down forcing me to turn the power off then on to get Leap42.1 booting.

Any ideas on how to overcome this ? ..or what may be the cause.

Default Re: LEAP42.1 Grub2 problem

Quote Originally Posted by cabernet View Post
    All, Leap42.1 will boot ok to a certain extent on this system. But not without some intervention. If I reboot from say OpenSuse 13.2 into Leap42.1 the system hangs when it tries to start Grub. To overcome this I have to do a full shutdown, including turning off the switch on the Power Supply for about 10 seconds. The pc will then boot into the Grub2 menu from where I can select Leap42.1 for boot. This is not the case using reboot. It appears that some process may not be shutting down forcing me to turn the power off then on to get Leap42.1 booting.

Any ideas on how to overcome this ? ..or what may be the cause.

It is early days yet - but a Google search caused me to think further about bootable flags. I checked mine with fdisk -l. I noticed /dev/sda had a boot flag no longer required. Using fdisk I removed this, rebooted and Grub appeared immediately. From here I can quickly boot into LEAP42.1. Hope this is permanent.

No such luck - still working on this. It is possible that the old MBR is getting in the way. This pc has been used for OpenSuse 12.3, 13.1 and 13.2 prior to this install of LEAP42.1

Here is a log generated from an earlier write to the MBR.

http://paste.opensuse.org/75100767

Alternatively--- is it possible to create the MBR on another disk and tell grub2 where to look ?

Blog Entries

I hesitate to reply since I don't have an answer. But then nobody has replied.

[COLOR=#333333]It appears that some process may not be shutting down forcing me to turn the power off then on to get Leap42.1 booting.
    That seems unlikely. By the time you have a grub screen, every process should have shutdown, and the operating system is gone.

It is possible that some hardware is left in an inappropriate state, and a power off/power on is needed to reset it.

One problem here, is that we lack information about your system. For example, is it a UEFI system? Is it possible that 13.2 uses legacy booting while 42.1 uses UEFI booting?

How are you booting? How did you install? In particular, what did you do about booting in your install?

I notice, in your susepaste output:
    Code:
    grub2-install: info: cannot open `/boot/grub2/device.map': No such file or directory.
    In my experience, "device.map" is created during install. However, if the install was UEFI based, then "device.map" would not be created. And if you told it to not install a boot-loader, then "device.map" is probably not created.

So you have left us a puzzle, and insufficient information.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Thanks for your input.

A usb 3.0 external hard drive may be the culprit here. Booting has worked ok while it was disconnected. I will experiment connecting it to an alternative port - as it appears that it was not fully shutting off during reboot.

May want to check the boot sequence of the drives to be suer that the USB drive is not taking the place of the normal boot drive. Maybe look at fdisk -l when the USB is in place and on